Saturday, April 4, 2009

Anything Better to Do?

I just got an email from Dr. Barry in response to the fact that both Wifey and I sent him articles about UM and Pediatrics. It said, simply "I'm at Sweet Tomatoes trying to eat my salad. don't the 2 of you have anything better to do?"

Well, I thought about that. I awoke this morning at 5, and made myself coffee. I took the 2 dogs and one grand puppy outside, and observed the early morning. It was very dark (before the dawn, of course) and completely quiet. My friend Jeff has a supposedly Quaker refrain on his emails (he's a VERY liberal Reform Jew --I think they're close to Quakers) that says "Don't speak unless you can improve upon the silence." This morning I understood that deeply.

As I looked into the Eastern sky, the first hint of light appeared, and the birds started singing. One, a maccaw that lives in our neighborhood, flew over, squawked, and startled the puppy.

At 830 I took my bike and rode about a mile to a local ballfield, where I watched my friend Mike's son Chris play. He went 0-2, but hit the ball hard one time. I chatted with Loni, Mike's wife, about some mutual friends' divorce. I chatted with a nice lady, middle aged and gray, who recognized me from our law school class. I remembered her --she was VERY attractive in 1986. Ah, the decrepitude of aging. Good thing I haven't changed!

I biked home, and made breakfast in bed for D2, although I pointed out to her it was lunch --well past noon. She loves to sleep.

Wifey asked me to watch "Clockers" with her -- a proto version of "The Wire," which I love. I fell asleep and heard the rains start, and ended up taking a 3 hour nap.

I ate a frizen pizza with pesto which was actually very good --fed the pond fish, and played with the grand puppy.

The almost 89 year old called to tell me, in detail, about the installation of her new dryer.

Next will come a 1.2 mile walk.

So, Barry, the LONG answer to your question is NO --I really don't have anything better to do! And I like it that way!

No comments: