Monday, March 30, 2009

Sad News in the Paper

Cheryl Epstein died, according to today's Herald, and though I only met her once, briefly and casually, I was saddened by her death.

Cheryl was the mother in one of the most star crossed families I've ever known.

In 1998, her son Alan, a Palmetto High Honors grad, was killed along with another student while on their way home for Thanksgiving from UF. Apparently, Alan fell asleep at the wheel. The passenger was a young lady who was North Miami Beach friends with my law partner's daughter.

To this day, each trip up the Turnpike by D1 or D2 brings that tragic event back home to me, and I only relax when either my front door opens by a tired and smiling D1 or D2, or I get that happy cell call that says "I'm home, Dad!"

Alan's father was Murray, a very likeable and succesful lawyer. My partner and I did some business with him, although my partner knew him better --they were contemporaries. Of course, after his son's death, Murray was never the same. I learned later from a mutual friends that he used to wake up in the morning and curse the dawn, for the never ending pain of his son's death.

Six years later, Murray died, of leukemia. He told no one about his illness, and his death came as a shock. The mutual friend, who was close to Murray, said Murray related he told no one about his terminal illness because he couldn't stand the looks of pity he got from everyone after Alan's death, and swore to never "get those looks" again.

Well, first the son died, then the father, and now the mother. The paper said she died of breast cancer, but I'm sure she died of the same thing as her husband --a broken heart.

And then I contrast this story with examples of artificial human drama --people blessed with good health and life who commit the ultimate act of ingratitude --failing to appreciate their precious gift.

Cheryl is survived by two other children, a son and daughter. May this string of terrible fortune end for these two.

As for me , well, it just reinforced my philosophy of going through life happy and appreciative. Bad things happen, to good people and bad, I guess.

While the party is still going on, it seems a total waste not to have a few drinks and laughs.

No comments: