Saturday, March 28, 2009

She's SO Old...

LAst week I visited my mother up in Delray Beach. I picked her up and met my sister for lunch. We went to a cheese steak sandwich shop on Atlantic Avenue, on a gorgeous sunny day.

Afterwards we had ice cream, and then I suggested we drive over to the beach, to sit and look at the ocean. Of course, in my family that's a code way of saying, let's visit Dad, since his ashes were scattered of of Pompano Beach in 1982.

Mom said no, she was tired, and wanted to go home.

She's so, so old. Her cognition is fine, and she's still largely independent, but she appears as if a stiff breeze would (it really could) blow her down.

Her 89th birthday is a tad over 2 weeks away, and she'd be the first to tell you what a blessedly long life she's had. I just hope she doesn't decline more. She wouldn't want to live that way.

Still --she has her sense of humor intact. My sister mentioned a relative's wife, and remarked that Mom didn't care for her. "I hate her guts!" Mom corrected.

At her age, she gets to say whatever she wants.

Meanwhile, D2 is up in Gainesville with the new puppy, visiting D1. Wifey and I are empty nesters this weekend.

We may head over to Deering Estate for their seafood festival, and maybe a Canes baseball game tonight. I haven't been to the new "A Rod Park" yet, which is already nicknamed A Roid Park, after his revelation about steroid use.

Then again, the day may just melt into a few walks around the neighborhood, and an epic nap. My 89 year old mother will probably have more action today!

No comments: