Monday, March 9, 2009

Recapitulation

My father had 2 daughters, like I do. He also had a son (me) who came along later on.

Some of my earliest memories are of my sisters' boyfriends hanging around the house. I think I was 6 when my older sister started dating the man she'd marry, and my younger sister started dating her first husband about the same time.

I remember the curious dynamic of having these 2 young men hanging around the house. As a little boy, I was thrilled -- older guys to toss a baseball with!

Well, fast forward 40 some years, and I find myself in the same position. D2 has been seeing a young man, a senior in high school who is headed off to UF after graduation. D1 has a boyfriend who is coming for a 3 night Spring Break visit tomorrow night! I've met D1's fellow on a video chat, and he strikes me as a terrific young man.

Dr. Barry asked me if it was weird having suitors for my girls "sniffing around." Actually --it's curiously nice. If my girls are happy; I'm happy.

Of course, it's easy to be so positive given that these are quality young men. Both of my girls have shown, fortunately, excellent taste in the young men they're attracted to.

I'm sure my disposition would change if they brought home losers. Then I'd have to switch to Tony Soprano mode, and do whatever was necessary to protect them.

Fortunately, this is not the case. Instead, I'm looking to showing D1's young man some fine hospitality. We have dinner plans in Coral Gables on Wednesday.

Dad --I guess everything comes around...

No comments: