Sunday, March 15, 2009

Great Break

D1 is now safely back at UF, after the best Spring Break ever. She arrived last Friday, and relaxed over the first weekend, and then on Tuesday we were joined by an, um gentleman caller.

This was a first: having a college boyfriend come for an overnight visit. I'm thrilled to report that her young man, Thomas, was a wonderful guest. All three of us --Wifey, D2, and I, approve.

D1 squired him around town, including a stop at my office where young Thomas was grilled by my partner. He survived. We took him to the new condo failure in town, Icon, and marvelled at it. We had a great dinner in Coral Gables. It was a very nice visit.

On Friday, D1 and I picked up Madeleine, D1's first puppy. She's a Cavalier Spaniel, and has already made a much bigger splash around here than I would have thought a 2.5 lb puppy could make. Wifey is thrilled with her first "Granddog," but I refuse to be known as Zaide, the Yiddish term for grandpa. I'll wait for human grandkids for that.

Last night we watched D2 dance, and enjoyed it thoroughly. D1 left home today teary eyed --both at leaving her human family and new puppy. Madeleine's going to bunk here until August, when D1 takes her back to UF for her senior year.

I think my favorite part of the week was seeing D1's fellow Spring break friends, all of whom came to see the new puppy. Nicole came by, home from Wash U in St. Louis, Hillary from UF, and Kerri the Maryland Terrapin.

I've known these girls since they were 11 or so, and to see them as beautiful and talented young women is an amazing thing.

I'm due to travel to UF to watch D1 dance. After years away from dancing, she joined a local dance group last year, and has been enjoying it. This semester she's choreographing a dance set to Springsteen's "Thunder Road." She picked that song in my honor. Does my cup runneth over, or what?

No comments: