Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Still Got the Religion About Marriage

Wifey's off in Orlando at an intensive PT program designed to help her back. And guess what?! I miss her.

Now, of COURSE a husband should miss his wife when she's away, but in recent times, when she went away, I was like a teenager whose parents left town.

I still got the religion about improving a marriage. Last weekend, we went on several dates. The best was Friday night, where we followed dinner with a walk around my beloved UM campus. Classes hadn't started yet, and we strolled around the mostly deserted school. As we approached the Music School, we heard an orchestra playing. It was a civic group, and we listened to them play some wonderful Aaron Copland compositions. I joked that I had hired the musicians for her.

As we continued our stroll, we heard MORE music --this time a band playing Springsteen. We discovered a party going on near the art museum --a pre Beaux Arts Festival party, with the patrons dressed comically in beach attire (it was a cool night). We crashed the party, though we were in sweaters, and then walked to a grassy spot by the lake, where we looked at the stars and listened to the music. It was delightful.

Of course we argued some over the weekend, but we have a new spirit of honesty, and not letting sources of resentment hang out there.

I love to spoil the woman in my life, and Wifey hadn't been letting me. Sometimes I hadn't been letting me. I've been making her coffee each morning, and cutting up fresh fruit into a salad, and waking her with it. I put the coffee under her nose, and, loving the literal, cheerfully tell her to "Wake up and smell the coffee.!" Yes --living wiht me can become tiresome, too.

Anyway --she called this moring from the Orlando hotel, and said she missed her morning fruit salad and coffee, and missed me. How about that!

No comments: