Sunday, January 18, 2009

Saturday In the Park

What a glorious day it was yesterday. The weather was best it could be --the very reason to live in Miami in January. It was about 70 degrees, under clear blue skies, with the gentlest of breezes.

D2 went off to South Beach with her friends, and I sat reading the newspaper on my front porch. My friend Jeff called, and invited me to an art festival in Pinecrest Gardens. He was going with his wife, and 2 of his 3 daughters. I accepted.

We ran into some old friends there, a couple long divorced. The former wife was someone Jeff had asked on a date, probably in 1985. At the time she was a raven haired beauty, although with a squeaky voice, and, well, let's just say no excess of smarts. Her reply, which we still laugh about "Thank you for asking, but I have a policy of only going on dates with men I'm attracted to, and I'm not at all attracted to you, so I have to say 'no.'"

Fortunately, Jeff survived the rejection, and has been happily married for over 20 years. His rejector? Well --her husband left her about 4 years ago, and the years have not been her friend, sadly. She's about 50 and looks 60, ddressed out of a schtetl, and easily 100 lbs overweight. As Jeff's youngest, who overheard the tale of her father's rebuke remarked: "Dad --I don't think you'd be asking her out now."

Anyway, we made our way around the park, and ran into more friends and neighbors. The sun streaked through the heavy foliage, and vines. Pinecrest Park, the former Parrot Jungle, is one of the most gorgeous city parks there is, and on a day like yesterday, it was magical.

I bought a polished wood box from a local artist, with a painted tile cover, depicting a house in Italy surrounded by bougainvillea. I'm bringing it to Wifey when I visit her in Orlando this week. We're going to place some dreams and hopes and warm emotions in the box, and carry it back home with us.

Wifey's been gone since Tuesday, and I miss her. She should have been there yesterday, in the glorious winter sun. She'd have enjoyed it.

Today, D2 has her math tutor Ron here, and we'll probably have dinner together. I'm thinking sushi outside, by the pool. The weather's still gorgeous, and it seems a crime to be indoors.

As I write, the aging Labrador and young Basset Hound are sunning themselves on the backyard lawn. They sense how delightful these days are, too.

If there's a better place to be, at this time...I don't know what it is.

No comments: