Friday, January 16, 2009

I Am Become Curmudgeon

For years, I made fun of the old guy who cared more about where a group was going, than about the fun of the company involved. I never mad a big deal about a particular restaurant; the point was going out, and laughing together.

I have become the old guy.

On Wednesday night, the Canes were playing Maryland, and Mike asked me to go. I reminded him that I bought my own tickets this year, but that we'd meet for a pre game dinner. I asked some of my friends to go with me, since D2 had too much homework to accompany me, and got multiple turn downs. The game started at 9 on a weeknight. My friends are all old farts, too.

Anyway, Mike called to say his friends wanted to meet at Flemings Steak house in the Gables. I've been to that place 3 times, and swore never to return. It's way overpriced, with a snooty staff, and to me --3 strikes and you're out.

So, I opted out, and told Mike I'd see him at the game. Well, after eating take out chicken with D2, and taking a nice evening stroll, it was past 8. Who was I kidding? I wasn't first going to leave for a game. I ended up watching the final 3 minutes on TV --it was the greatest Miami comeback in recent history. Down by 17 in the 2nd half, the Canes rallied to win.

Still, the game ended, and I was happy with the result, and happy I wasn't sitting in post game traffic at 1030 at night. I have become the old guy.

I spoke to Mike the next day, and he said the Flemings meal was the worst ever. 3 of the 4 guys had their steaks cooked wrong, and Mike's $40 ribeye was "sub Outback level." The manager gave them a $100 gift certificate to return. I'd trash it, or give it to a secretary at his firm, if I were Mike. At least she could buy 4 ripoff martinis at the bar.

I think Oppenheimer was about my age when he captained the Manhattan Project. When he watched the mushroom cloud over the New Mexico desert, he quoted the Hindu Baghavad Ghita "I am become death."

Although I don't yet wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled, and I still dare to eat a peach, is much more excitement in store?

No comments: