Friday, January 30, 2009

Another Job I'd Like

So I got my oil changed today at Jiffy Lube, and the tech must have re set my headlights to "on" instead of "auto." So, when I went out later on --lo and behold --dead battery.

I called AAA, a company my family has used since the 1960s. I opened the hood to see if I could jump start the car myself, and realized that I couldn't even figure out how to remove the cowling preventing access to the battery. AAA to the rescue.

The service they give has gotten much better. The dispatcher called within 20 minutes of my request, and the "battery service" fellow arrived 10 minutes later. He was great -- had me up and running right away, and told me how to reset my remote if the car failed to start.

And it occurred to me --what a great job the fellow has. He spends his evenings literally rescuing folks, and gets paid for it. He's not stuck in an office anywhere.

The fellow confirmed my thoughts. He tells me he really does love what he does, though sometimes the people waiting for service get nasty.

In contrast, there's another job I saw performed tonight, that I realized I'd NEVER want. But, I can't talk about it.

Anyway -- that's all that's going on. Tomorrow I have an all day seminar of mediation training, to keep my certification current. Then, my friend Vince has a 50th birthday party over at the Rusty Pelican --the restaurant with the best view in town.

Vince's wife wants me to tell the story about how he and I met. I was in Calculus Class in 1980 at UM, and bored out of my mind. I found my gaze drifting to the ample bosom of a co ed from my dorm --Christine was her name. I noticed that there was another pair of eyes likewise enjoying the view of this young lady, and the eyes' owner gave me the thumbs up sign. It was Vince, and afterwards , outside the class, he introduced himself saying "I can see you're a man of good taste!" We're friends nearly 30 years later.

No comments: