Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What a Town

Got back from Vegas this am, after nearly 4 days of fun and excitement. My partner and travelling companion, typically not given to social commentary, answered a question posed by Dr. Barry why he loved Vegas so much. I have to note this exchange took place in the back of a limo at 2 am Saturday, as we shuttled from Club Tryst in the Wynn hotel to a raodside diner called the Peppermint Rhino.

"Vegas is the most honest town in America. There's no pretense here - if you have money, you're at the front of the line. If you're poor --go to the back. It doesn't matter if you have an Ivy League education, or your relatives came over on the Mayflower. The lowest groups who have the cash are king --the "classy types without the bucks are worthless. America is ALL about money, and Vegas is the clearest expression of America."

I was impressed. I was also feeling the effects of 4 stolis on the rocks, and dozing off. Still, Springsteen said it best, about Vegas's poorer cousin, Atlantic City: "There's winners and losers, and don't find yourself on the wrong side of that line..."

We stayed at the Bellaggio, and the place is beyone belief. Literally millions of dollars of Chilully glass sculptures. A courtyard beyond Disney, where Aaron Copland's "Hoedown" crescendoes --competing with the piped in jazz in the adjoining Cafe Bellagio, Sarah Vaugn.

My favorite spot was a piano bar, where EVERY player was terrific. At 1 am Sunday, after I left my companions to their nights of intrigue and mystery, I sat in the bar and gave the man a $20. Thank you sir, he said, may I play a request? Yes --please play "Misty" for me. He complied. A gorgeous blonde weekend warrior came by and said "Wow --a sensitive type." I literally shooed her away.

The wedding was lovely --the Bellagio has amazing banquet facilities. And, just when it seemed like the affair could have been held at the Plantation Sheraton --Elvis walked in, and sang 3 songs.

Other than the wedding, there was great food, and laughter. One of our number lost his watch and wedding ring at the pool. We decided the better story would be that he passed out in his room after an encounter with a Kenyan professional woman, and woke to find she had taken most of his cash (leaving $200 as a gesture of mercy) as well as his watch and ring. What's the truth? In Vegas that's a slippery thing...

Anyway --I got that city out of my system for awhile. My partner already wants to plan another trip.

The one funny thing was I found myself pitying couples there. They all seemed to be having less fun. Vegas IS a place where you oughtn't be responsible for anyones well being but your own.

Also, speaking of couples --there was a curious thing. I must have seen at least 100 grandfathers there squiring around their gorgeous granddaughters. It was creepy, though --they were showing atypical levels of phyiscal affection. Such is LAs Vegas...

No comments: