Saturday, July 26, 2008

Early Morning Thunderstorm

As I age, I find I sleep an entire night, without waking, maybe 2-3 times per week, tops. The rest of the evenings I either wake up at 2 or 3 am, and read, or wake up at 5 and figure it's time to start the day.

This morning, it was a 5 am deal, after falling asleep around midnight. I read for awhile and then checked the news on my laptop, since I am an admitted news junkie. Fortunately, it was a slow news overnight --only a few more grisly domestic murders for the papers to report.

Then,I had a rare treat --a violent thunderstorm came through. I love t storms when I'm inside with nowhere to go, and at 5 am...

There were flashes in the black sky, and loud rumblings of thunder. A neighbor's dog barked in the distance. Then came the downpour, and I got up to watch as the trees glistened in the lightning's flashes.

I'm always conforted being in bed during a storm --it brings back the childhood belief that pulling the covers over your head will immunize you from the attacks of all nature of monster.

I actually fell asleep for another hour listening to the rain.

I awoke and Wifey and I watched the end of a good Netflix offering: "The Savages." It was a small movie; I like small movies.

Then, I had a great breakfast with an old college friend who's now a Public Health Doctor. We told tales and laughed so hard that at one point the restaurant actually all stopped to look at us.

Thunderstorms in the early morning and breakfast with old friends. These are a few of my favorite things...

No comments: