Friday, July 18, 2008

47

Today I'm 47, and really didn't want to make a big deal out of my birthday. I'm a decade man --I like to mark the "zero" birthdays with a big party. Three years from now, I'm thinking big sail boat and vomiting up into Biscayne Bay.

Still, yesterday my partner took me and another office roommate, Brian, for a few at the Blue MArtini. My friend and receptionist Mirta tagged along. To celebrate, I gave Mirta a $100 bill to spend on her grandkids. My partner followed suit. We're both so spoiled, self indilged, and pampered, but we truly share preferring to give than to receive.

I woke up this am to see signs D2 had put up around the house wishing me a happy 47. She also left me breakfast. I got a bunch of calls from family and friends as well.

D1 is on her way, with our friend Elizabeth from Orlando. Elizabeth turns 50 on Monday, and we'll all have dinner tonight before Elizabeth goes off to begin her sixth decade on this planet with her family in Coconut Grove.

Ah, birthdays. Just another day, but so nice to be loved.

I received one particularly poignant message. My friend Alan called from Atlanta to wish me a happy one. Alan's beloved wife Helene just died on July 4th of cancer.

Alan's always happy, and has tons of friends. His children and grandchildren adore him. His marriage to Helene was storybook, if they wrote the story in Queens, NY, with later chapters in Miami.

I know Alan is in tremendous pain, and yet he called to wish me well on my birthday. Even in the depth of despair, he gives. What a guy. I plan on continuing to emulate him.

No comments: