Sunday, April 13, 2008

Prom Night

D2's only a high school sophomore, but she was asked to her school's senior prom. Since she's shown great maturity, and is such a wonderful kid, we allowed her to go. Plus, she was asked by a friend from the campus newspaper who is heading to Penn next year, and about 4 inches shorter than D2.

Wifey and I went to an enormous mansion, where the 50 kids who had rented a bus were gathered. The parents of the girl who lived there had a catered party for about 140 people, with an open bar and delicious appetizers. The Dad is a senior partner in one of Miami's oldest CPA firms --it appeared he gave himself a bunch of excellent financial advice.

If there's a lovelier sight than a group of young adults in gowns and tuxes, standing together for a group photo, positively dripping with the promise of youth and the future, I don't know what it is. Wifey and I enjoyed ourselves immensely.

The kids boarded the custom bus, one like a rock star might have for his entourage, and off they went. A group of girls, D2's friends from the newspaper, rented a hotel room on South Beach. I'm pleased and happy to report that D2 came home this am sober, happy, and tired.

What a contrast to my prom, nearly 30 years ago. My friends and I were polyester tuxes of, in hindsight, a putrid array of lime green, beige, etc... We had long hair or Jewfros. We drove ourselves to a 3rd rate country club, and danced. My date was exactly my height --5 11, and in heels rose to 6 1. One of my favorite teachers, Mr. Gallagher, was a chaperone that night. "Dave," he said, "I will always remember watching you stand on your toes for the whole affair."

So, if D2 is lucky, she'll get to go to 2 more proms. I've already decided to host a pre prom party for her senior prom.

John Mellencamp advised to "hold on to 16 as long as you can." Most of the 18 year olds last night, at least the ones I spoke with, couldn't wait for high school to end, so they could head off to Gainesville, or New York, or Ann Arbor, or Philadelphia.

I guess the job of an aging guy is to appreciate for them the gift they have.

No comments: