Wednesday, April 2, 2008

If It Weren't For the Clients...

When folks ask me how it is to be a lawyer, I always reply that it's ok, except for the clients. My doctor friends usually have the same sentiments about their patients. Yesterday I got a phone call that further supports my wry (seeded, with lean corned beef and mustard) observation.

Without getting into the facts, I'll just say that I recently settled a case that was nothing short of an act of magic. I rarely toot my own horn, as the saying goes, but this client came to us a year and a half ago with some serious burn injuries and no one to really blame but himself and some illegal alien co workers.

My partner lobbied heavily to reject the case, but I had a positive feeling, and we filed suit. After we litigated and spent a bunch of money and effort, our appellate lawyer, the supposed voice of reason in our operation, reviewed the case for us. He agreed with my partner and told me I ought to have my head examined for continuing with this frivolity. I again resisted, and we soldiered on.

Well, I was vindicated, and 2 weeks ago we settled the case for a most healthy sum. The client, dull normal in intelligence, illiterate, and typically without emotion, was ecstatic. He realized he was about to come into more money than he had seen over the entire 60 years of his life, and would be able to move out of the 2 bedroom apartment he shares with his wife and 9 !!! children, all of whom are also illegal aliens.

Yesterday he came to the office to sign some closing papers. "I have a problem here," he said through a translator. "My relative in Mexico says I should change my mind --there is not enough money ."

I patiently explained to him that, in all due respect, his relative in Mexico, a laborer, was incorrect in his legal analysis, and that my partner and I, with a combined experience of 55 years of handling these types of cases, might be in a better position to offer him meaningful advice.

He signed off on the settlement.

It could be worse, I realize. My friend Barry was involved in literally saving the lives of 2 of his patients, and ended up being sued by the parents for complications resulting from the life saving procedures.

This client has two years from now to sue me. Stay tuned.

No comments: