Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Bitterman

Dr. Bill is one of the wisest men I know. He's a retired UM engineering professor, who developed a wildly succesful consulting career reconstructing accidents for lawyers. Dr. Bill is from Georgia, and originally of Irish stock. He's about 6 4 and looks like Abe Lincoln without a beard.

I always enjoy my time with Bill, because he's such a polymath. He's a devout Catholic, and yet often tells me something about Judaism I didn't know. He has travelled the world and learned something from each place he's seen. He loves a great joke as much as I do.

Bill's going through an awful time. His son in law John, who is Bill's former student, was in the process of taking over the consulting business. John was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

This morning, my law partner was speaking with Bill about an upcoming deposition, where Bill will be testifying in one of our cases. At the end of the conversation, Bill spoke about John. He said John would know in a few weeks if he'd have more time, with the success of some therapy he was getting.

Regardless, Bill said, his faith remained strong. Bill said that, as people age, it's easier to become bitter, as we see so much sadness and disappointment. Bill chooses optimism, even in the face of tragedy. To him, it's only logical.

Recently my partner spoke to one of Bill's contemporaries, a retired lawyer now living upstate. This fellow had something negative to say about every name my partner mentioned. He had become a bitter old man.

Bill heard that, and was disappointed. As long as there is life, there is hope, the wise professor thinks.

It makes the most sense.

No comments: