Saturday, April 19, 2008

Fambly

Tonight is the first night of Passover, and most of us will be getting together at Villa Wifey. The notable exception is my sister Sue and her boys, who are in California and can't make it.

It's funny -as a kid, family gatherings were sort of ok, but nothing to get excited about. There was nothing as great as going out with friends, and when family duty and friend opportunity conflicted --it was a complete drag to have to see family. Of course, of those precious friends, from teenage years, I speak to one of them about twice a year, and another rarely.

Now, getting together is something to be excited about, especially since my mother and Wifey's parents hear, to quote Marvel, "...time's winged chariot hurrying near." In other words, how many Passovers together will there be?

My niece is coming from Tampa, with her funny and dutiful husband, beautiful bouncing boy, and earnest and brilliant daughter. My nephew, feeling his entrepreneurial oats with a new business, is coming with his lovely wife, and 2 gorgeous girls. These 4 kids are the next generation of the family, and it's clear the future is bright.

My sister and brother in law are bringing my mother, the world's happiest 88 year old, who will look out over her grandchildren and great grandchildren and positively beam. My brother in law and sister are nearing retirement,, and trying to figure out the next stage of their lives as they enjoy their storybook marriage. Ha! My sister would say storybook if it was written by Stephen King, and yet we all know that neither of them will get out of their nuptials alive.

My in laws will come, and enter with all the grace and subtlety of a rodeo bull. My father in law will rush to feed my pond fish and water and fertilize his cactus. My mother in law will have some mail for me to review that requires IMMEDIATE attention, as if the future of the nation was at stake. Of course, it will be an offer from AAA to buy car insurance...

D2 lives here, of course, and she will have to endure, I'm sure, the ribbing for her recent prom misadventure. D1 flew in yesterday from UF, surprising her mother and sister. She leaves tomorrow to take the finals of her sophomore year --somehow college is 1/2 over.

Wifey is happily low key. Having a caterer cook, serve, and clean up afterwards is the best money I ever spend. It lets all of us be in a good mood, and enjoy each other's company.

As for me --well --I flirted with becoming more religiously observant, but concluded, to quote Dylan, that it ain't me, babe. There will be no real seder, as it is, and instead just a family dinner with a few unusual foods, like matzah. I'm not proud of this, it just is.

So, I'm thankful for today --for the shared laughter that will come, and the memories we'll create. I see so much sadness and misery in the world, that celebrating the good is, to my view, a requirement for a happy life.

No comments: