Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Don't Do It For the Fame

Jerry Pyszka died, and his funeral is tomorrow, at a Catholic church in Miami Shores. In today's Herald, there's only a death notice, no obituary. There is a pleasant obit about Beverly Clark, who owned a coffee house and was a stewardess for Northwest Airlines. Nothing about Jerry, other than what his family submitted.

Jerry was a well respected insurance defense lawyer. To those of us in the business, he was well known. He started a firm in 1975 that most plaintiff's lawyers encountered in their quest for settlements or trials for their clients. He had a reputation for honest dealing. I always admired his dry sense of humor.

About 12 years ago, I encountered Jerry at a car dealership, where we were both leasing new vehicles. The salesman was touting the new technology of GPS, and asked if he could give us both a presentation. We agreed. After the salesman was finished, Jerry asked one question. "So, if someone got my code, they could go on a computer and learn the precise location of my car, at any time?" The salesman, thinking this was a BENEFIT to a vehicle owner, answered "Yes, precisely!" Jerry looked at me, knowingly, and said "That's the stupidest invention I've ever heard. Keep it the hell off my car!"

Why has society decided that a stewardess's death is more newsworthy than a 54 year member of the Florida Bar?

In 1993, the same thing happened when my mentor, Ed Perse, died. Ed was a lawyer's lawyer, and through my friendship with his son Mike, took me under his wing. Ed guided my career, as well as the careers of literally hundreds of young lawyers --getting us jobs, counseling us though tough times. In fact, Ed used to joke with me that he was more like Lucy in Peanuts, when she assumed the role of psychiatrist, than an appellate lawyer. I miss Ed to this day.

When he died, the Herald gave him a paragraph or two. I'm sure the death of some former Director of Sanitation or something got more press.

Anyway, my partner and I plan to go to Jerry's funeral tomorrow. We don't know his family, but we think it's proper to pay our respects.

If your lucky, in the law business, you can make a fine living, and maybe even do a handful of useful things for people. But, unless you represent folks like OJ, or a Kennedy family member, you don't get a lot of fame. That's fine with me personally. I just wonder whether it's right.

No comments: