Thursday, July 30, 2026

Cousin Connect

 So I was up early doing errands today. First I did my laundry, which Wifey and my friends find hilarious -- since we have a housekeeper. But years ago I realized she was ruining my stuff with bleach and all, and I kind of like the sense of completeness of tasks like laundry, so everything goes in the same load, and then the shirts get hung up to dry while other stuff goes in the dryer, and later that am -- presto!

I then left to get a pedicure, a hobby the Ds caused me to have doing "Daddy/Daughter Pedis" which I have now adopted -- typically I'm the only fellow in the chairs, next to Palmetto High girls or the many Ladies Who Lunch and Pedicure of Pinecrest. Today the lady pinched me, and I said "Ow" and she said sorry before hurriedly returning to her Vietnamese conversations with co-workers. I shall survive.

From there it was up Sunniland to Walgreens, and while waiting in line, saw an email from my cousin Russel. I had messaged him last month about the death of our mutual cousin Steven, and never heard. The email explained he rarely checked his FB Messenger, but thanks for letting him know, and a nice summary of his now retired Southern Cal life, and could we set up a time to actually speak?

I made a quick run to Batteries Plus, one of my favorite stores since they always have the unusual battery or bulb I need, and sure enough, got the front doorbell one I needed. In the mean time, Dr.Rigo's office called to say my blood work looked suspiciously good for a fat old man, so I was happy about that, and I asked about getting Hep A and B vaxxes. Did I plan travel? I did -- 2 trips to Europe, with a stop in Northern Africa (Morocco). Yes -- get the Hep, so I made an App appointment to return to Walgreens at 1250, and then called Russ.

We spoke for an hour. I told him I would be married 40 years this January, and he said last time we saw each other, in 1981 in the Grove, he met her. Nope -- I met Wifey in '83 -- that was my college girlfriend Silvia, who broke up with me thinking I would end up some broke ass English teacher. Some folks at the track handicap the horses better than others...

But we caught up nicely. The woman HE was with that day at Monty Trainers ended up being his first wife, with whom he had a son, now 41, and a daughter, now 45. But the marriage soured on account of she was nuts, and he's been happily married to Linda for 20 years now. He just retired from a corporate career, and from his subtle references about places he visits and gold courses he plays in SoCal I could tell he had done quite well.

We compared notes on kids. No grandkids seem to be coming for him -- his daughter in law had a miscarriage and is now too old to try again, and his daughter is a total career woman with zero desire to marry, let alone have kids.

He told me he's totally estranged from his younger brother Gary, though still close with his half brother Adam -- Adam and Gary are both retired Broward teachers now living in South Carolina. Apparently Gary is selfish and wants little to do with his siblings. Hey -- it happens.

Russ is a proud Gator and LOVES that this Cane has 2 Gator Ds and a Gator son in law. He is still a huge Fins fan, too, since he moved here the year before the Perfect Season.

We enjoyed our reunion so much -- he asked if I got to SoCal, and I told him I was there for a friend's wedding a few years back, but had no plans to return. He was last in SoFla when his Mom and stepdad were alive, and now there is nothing to bring him here.

So I asked -- did he drink? Hell yeah -- bourbon. I told him I stayed closer to our ethnic roots --I was a vodka man. I asked whether he would enjoy a Zoom cocktail meet -- our wives would finally meet, and we would each meet them. He loved the idea -- we have a tentative one set for Monday at 7 pm my time, so that he can have his cocktail at 4.

He adored my parents. I really dug his Dad and Mom, though Harry died when I was probably 8 or 9.

Still, talking to him it was clear we had lots in common -- I look forward to sharing some more tales of our lives.

On my Mom's side, my cousin Jeff asked me to set up a meeting with him and Lynn. Eh. We'll see -- if he reaches out for it, fine, but my laziness prevents me from taking the lead.

Plus -- Zoom is the way to go. Ain't none of us pretty enough to require meeting in person no more -- Zoom allows L'chaims and conversation.

That should be enough of a connection.

No comments: