So Wifey asked Henry to visit early this am -- 730, in fact. It's funny since Wifey rarely emerges from our bedroom before 11 am, but I was up early to greet Henry. He has a mobile car wash service, and I noticed he had a new van. "Yes -- used some of my wife's life insurance to buy it." She died in her sleep 2 Mothers' Days ago, in her early 60s. Henry said she was in good shape and ate well, but it was her time...
As I was moving Wifey's car into wash position outside of the garage, I saw a message come up on the dash: "Service Required Soon." Wow -- talk about timing! Lexus of Kendall sent me a text -- special until 7/31 for oil change, tire rotation, etc...I called and asked if I could bring the car in at noon. I could.
Normally, I would drop the car, and have Wifey follow me in my SUV, and we would go for lunch while the car was in the shop. But things don't work normally here. Wifey WOULD, but my car was SO big, and the shifter worked differently, and don't be angry if something happened...
So I left her in her PJs on her recliner at 1145 and headed over. The affable service advisor and I chatted -- he was from Lima (Peru, not Ohio) and a huge Heat fan, so we got to speculate about whether old LeBron is coming to Miami...
He said the oil change was fine, but they couldn't do the rotation. He had photos on his IPad to show me why. Though the tread life was ok (22K miles), the tires were beginning to show age wear -- which happens in South Florida at 5 years or so. He said the tires were probably good for awhile, but he wouldn't take a long trip on them -- and their protocol was no rotation for these type of tires.
I recalled learning this in the past -- tires age even when not worn -- and the LAST thing I wanted was a pleading call from Wifey from the side of the highway...
I told him I typically got tires from Tire Kingdom, and he said that was fine, but they WERE having a "Buy 3, get one free" sale. While he took a call, I went on the TK web site -- sure enough the non sale price there was about the same as the sale price at the dealer.
And then Carlos tried to DOWN sell me! I told him I wanted Michelin, and he said that Kumos were 30% cheaper, and fine for mostly local driving. Nah -- give me the Michelins -- nothing but the best for Wifey!
He wrote me up and said I would get a loaner since they would take a bit to get the Michelins. Another fellow led me to a new SUV, in a gorgeous metallic, dark blue.
I drove home with a plan. I walked inside to find Wifey, still on the recliner, and told her I had done an impulse buy: I traded in her 2022 Lexus for a 2027 model because the color was the same as her blue eyes -- come look.
Ah -- she didn't buy it. She knew it was a loaner, and was amazed that the dealer gave loaners for oil changes. I told her the whole story, and made sure she was happy with today's service -- get your SUV washed, and then taken for service and 4 new tires all without having to open an exterior door.
She said she did enjoy the service.
So I shall await the call and retrieve the 22K mileage SUV. Wifey ended up getting up to see the loaner and indeed fell in love with it -- the interior was a gorgeous sandy colored leather. Now she wants one!
Not happening. I reminded her of her propensity to get into accidents -- even the lovliest blue vehicles don't look so great all dented and scratched.
Speaking of which, I haven't heard from my own carrier about Wifey's collision in Aventura, but suspect the young man IS bringing an injury claim, despite the slightest of contact. When I spoke to the Geico adjuster and asked, she said "HIPAA prevents me from disclosing that info." This tells me there IS info.
Hey -- it'll be up to Kin to deal with it -- and then I await the doubling of the premium from a claim. But hey -- what are ya gonna do?
As Henry's wife's fate shows, any car we have may well be our last. So for now, Wifey will have to endure her charcoal grey Lexus...maybe someday the blue metallic will be hers...
No comments:
Post a Comment