Saturday, July 27, 2024

Scenic Campus

 So one of these news aggregators published an article in The Herald this am saying that my beloved alma mater is the "9th Most Scenic Campus" in the US. Their methodology is apparently how many photos are posted on Tik Tok or X or some of the social media I have no idea how to access.

The accompanying article brought me back, though, to the changes I in fact saw as an undergraduate.

When I got to UM in 1979, I fell in love immediately, with the palm trees and people. But the truth was, the campus was NOT very attractive. Building 22, where I lived for 3.5 years, was an ugly white 3 story building built after WW II. The back of the building was rock and dirt, with some patches of grass -- we called it, of course, "The Outback," and tossed frisbees and balls there despite the many skinned knees. 

There were some grassy areas, but over by the classrooms -- and most of the buildings were accessed by bland blacktopped roads. And then Tad Foote became our president, in 1981.

He may have been the WASPiest man in America. His wife was nicknamed Bosey, and she was Senator Fullbright's daughter. I'm talking WASPY all around, but Tad had sechel -- his best friend, who came with him from Wash U in St. Louis, was a Jewish Holocaust Survivor named Luis Glaser -- sort of the brains behind the Foote operation.

Jim Ash, the Honors Program Director, called me -- Tad wanted to see the Honors Dorm -- would we host him? Of course -- after a quick tidying up. He was gracious and smart, and SO VERY WASPy. And the truth is, he set UM on its course to academic rise, although he sometimes clashed with the football program, which earned him anger from my Canes fan friends.

And Bosey set about turning the campus into a "Tropical Garden." Landscaping went in everywhere, and the ugly roads were replaced by brick paved paths. The campus, not at all huge, is indeed a beautiful place -- I still enjoy walking it and showing it off to visitors.

When Tad retired, in 1981, each of the Colleges held farewells for him, and the acting Arts and Sciences Dean, Dan Pals, asked if I would agree to hold the party at Villa Wifey. We had just moved in in February, and Wifey, with our friend Allison's help, scrambled to get the place ready. It was a delightful affair -- close to 100 guests, with UM supplied valet parking, and a piano player, and catering.

My Mom was there, and she was beaming. When I welcomed everyone, I reminded President Foote that I hosted him on his arrival to UM 20 years earlier, in less luxe surroundings. I also introduced him to my mother. He said "Mrs. S -- thank you for sending your son to UM -- it appears to have worked out well for everyone," and indeed it had.

Foote's replacement was the nationally known Donna Shalala, fresh off her long tenure in the Clinton Cabinet, and she did pretty well -- hired some good Deans and raised money -- though she also presided over a boneheaded purchase of Cedars Hospital, and let the Canes lose the Orange Bowl.

I met her a few times and things never clicked -- she lacked Tad Foote's charm and warmth. Her replacement, the Mexican Jew Julio Frenk, just stepped down, and there's a new search for President.

So in my time, they were Henry King Stanford, Tad Foote, Donna Shalala, Julio Frenk, and (watch this space).

People come; people go.

But to me, Tad and Bosey Foote deserve a LOT more credit for what they did than they seem to receive. Today's article was a nice exception to that for the long dead couple.

They're nearly finished knocking down "The Towers," the 12 story 4 Brutalist style dorms build in 1968. I first lived in the 11th floor of one of them, and had my first taste of college life, which I savored. The rooms were pretty prison-like.

I guess the "nepo babies" who largely make up UM undergrads today require more plush and modern digs -- and indeed they're building a new "Village" of apartments and shops there on Lake Osceola.

They also built a new music building that hosts "Wall casts" of the performances -- you can picnic outside while the players play inside. I plan on taking some of those in late Fall, when the temperatures allow.

I'll make Wifey indulge me in a walk around campus, with the same boring tales she's now heard many times.

Good thing the surroundings are pretty.

No comments: