Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Down At The Capital Grille

 So Paul and I decided to celebrate our 30th anniversary as a law firm this November -- and one of two places would have been natural: Tobacco Road or Capital Grille. Well, the former is knocked down, and too casual, and so we decided on the latter. We had some business yesterday, and decided to meet there for lunch.

Paul has been telling everyone that this is "All Dave's party" - he is paying for half, of course, but has handed off all decisions to me. So I arrived at the Grille a few minutes late, on account of the stupid Brickell Bridge being up, and Paul had the event manager Beatriz at a bar table, and had already changed the location of the event, was going over menus, and negotiating for no corkage fees for some fine wine we plan to bring.

I love my big brother so. You really have to -- he can sometimes, as in most times, NOT be the easiest guy. As it turned out, he picked an awesome room, and of course the most lavish of the three catering menus, and I am in full agreement. I guess I should be, since it's MY party...

Anyway, we then retired to a 2 martini lunch, and a trove of tales over the three decades, nearly all happy and positive. One funny one that wasn't happy for a friend  came to mind.

Years ago, Joelle was in Miami interviewing for a job with FIU Law. She met Mike and I for dinner at the Grille, and the plan was for me to drive her home where she would spend the night at Villa Wifey.

We sat, and Joelle, a moderate drinker, was pounding cocktails like I had never seen. I figured that maybe the interview was pressure packed, though I knew FIU coveted her greatly. Even Mike noticed -- when Joelle got up for the restroom, he said "Man -- those law professors know how to drink!"

On the drive home, she called Kenny. He asked about dinner, and she said "The place was PACKED with them." Turns out, Joelle has a serious phobia of taxidermy, and the Grille has TONS of animal trophies. I think we sat under a moose head like the one in the great scene from "Arthur." Joelle was trying to mask her phobia!

I asked why she didn't tell us -- we happily would have changed venues -- but she didn't want to be THAT kind of guest! She survived, as does the tale -- I took a photo yesterday and asked her and Kenny to guess where I was lunching. Joelle said even the photo triggers her.

Another favorite tale was "Sweet Al," a young lawyer who used to refer us cases. The secretaries adored him -- he was so boyishly handsome and, seemingly, naive. He was married to a dentist, and one of his cases hit big -- we had a co-counsel check for him for about $250K. Paul invited Al and his wife to lunch -- we wanted to celebrate and let his wife know how there was big money in doing business with us.

Al asked for 2 checks: one for $240K, and one for $10K. I complied, and at lunch he proudly took out the smaller check and showed his wife. "Honey -- look! These guys gave me a check for about 1/4 of my salary! How great is that???" Paul and I nodded and smiled.

Another evening, which I recall each time I use the restroom, involves the old fashioned phone booths they used to have. In the pre smart phone days, the Masters of the Universe could duck into one, and handle major deals.

I walked out of the Men's Room and saw a woman I knew -- Jewish Kendall wife and mother. She was, well, hot and heavy with a fellow. I thought how nice -- couple married probably 20 years still so into each other. But then I recalled her husband had a full head of hair, and her phone booth partner was bald.

Her eyes met mine, and she put her finger to her lips in the universal "Shush!" sign. I did, but chuckled to myself whenever we would run into each other at JCC or other Jewish events.

In the same vein, one night I was at dinner with Paul's friend Alan, before he was disbarred. His live in girlfriend was a Professor of Philosophy at an Ivy League School. Ha. Just kidding. She was a stripper he met in South Dade. She had her sister and some friends along -- I think Wifey had canceled at the last minute, and I was hungry, and so tagged along. The girls were so loud after drinks, the manager asked us all to leave. I did, for home, and I think Alan and crew decamped to Tobacco Road, where noise is allowed, or was.

Three Julys ago, I turned 60. I decided to celebrate MY WAY, like the Chairman, and had those near and dear who didn't mind the cost meet for a weekend at the Key Biscayne RC. It was a banner weekend. That Sunday, the Ds and their men wanted to celebrate, too, and we met at the Grille. Alyssa, who's like another daughter, and her wonderful husband Freddy were surprise guests -- and the fun continued.

I began my 61st year of life as one lucky, rockin' Daddy in the USA.

So here's to the coming 30th. Three decades as law partners -- not too many firms last that long. We have, and continue to limp along.

No comments: