Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Where Are You Going; Where Have You Been?

 So on a blissfully traffic light evening, Wifey and I drove her new old SUV up to the consuegros for their seder. I brought some vodka and gin, as Jacqui only drinks at home when I'm there, and I made her and Joey a couple of G and Ts. I tried a new vodka which was fine.

It was a nice, small group -- D1 and 2/3 of her men, as Baby Man was home with sitter, Jacqui and Ricardo, Tio Alan, and Jacqui and Ricardo's dear friends Debbie and Arturo. Arturo is a retired US Army colonel, and he made sure we added a prayer for the IDF soldiers in Israel. He's Cuban Catholic, but very much a Zionist, as we all were.

We joked about the Columbia protest idiots telling Jews to "Go back to Poland!" What if they were Sephardic -- shouldn't they be told to "Go back to Syria?" 

Jacqui's food was amazing, and Joey updated his haggadah, the seder guide book, which he wrote in honor of his late grandpa Jose. I had learned a lesson with Little Man when I told him about his namesake, by Dad, who had died. "Death" isn't an easy concept for a smart 4 year old -- he always brings it up now -- and so I suggested we tell Little Man that his great grandpa Jose was "in Bogota." That seemed to go over well -- though I was waiting for him to ask why he didn't meet him when HE was in Bogota meeting his "primas."

Since Little Man was the only child, he easily found the afikomen, which excited him. The time just flew by -- talking about politics, and movies, and the best new NetFlix shows.

A Sephardic question is, after the meal, to ask each seder participant where they're from, and where they're going, with the answers typically "Egypt" and "Jerusalem." This year it was more poignant, given the misery there.

We left the door open for Elijah, the prophet, and he was stealthy as always.

D1 shared the tail about a massage therapist who had visited recently, to massage her as well as D2 and Jonathan. She noted that Betsy was "quite a dog," and was anxious since D2 and Jonathan's house, built in 1956, is filled with "happy spirits," which only dogs can see. Who knows -- so long as they're not evil spirits...

I drove home and thought Wifey was napping, but she reminded me her latest ailment, a pulled trapezious muscle, hurt so much she couldn't sleep and kept her quiet. I told her I was sorry about this latest ailment.

I fell asleep and had a busy am planned -- balancing AC man Danny and a workout, but Jonathan the trainer texted -- he needed to cancel on account of a surfeit of vodka and cokes at his family's seder. I told him it would make Wifey happy -- she needn't wake up at the crack of 9 now to deal with the AC guy.

Sure enough, Jorge rolled up and immediately diagnosed the problem. Danny thought it was a a capacitor (my joke about it being a flux capacitor went over his head), but it turned out it was a rusted compressor filter which allowed the refrigerant to leak out -- so no cooling.

Jorge replaced the filter lickety split, and recharged the compressor. It's amazing to have an AC guy show up less than 12 hours after you call him -- Danny is amazing. I joked with him that Norman never set me up with a pretty girl, but setting me up with Danny was better.

And another repair guy is coming. The free refrigerator I got from Home Depot, on account of they botched the order during Covid, is on the blink. Ha. Serves me right -- thinking I got a $2K unit for nothing, and it would last.

So Glynn's is coming today, too -- see if they can get the refrigerator working well. If it's too expensive, I'll just get a cheap one for the garage and have them haul away to freebie.

I get to take Wifey to her THIRD doctor for her fainting issue this afternoon. Yesterday she handed me the phone as she was explaining to the internist what the neuro had said, and then walked away. She is sure enough eccentric these days.

I imagine the young cardio fellow will just keep her blood pressure in safe range. From there, another drive to NE Miami -- first to see Baby and Little Man, and then to Mr. Mandolin for our second night seder lite, with both Ds and their fine husbands.

Indeed, the most wonderful time of the Spring. I've been in Pinecrest; I'm heading to MiMo...

No comments: