Monday, April 29, 2024

Old Books And Memories

 Yesterday was a delight -- we met D1 and her men at Fairchild Tropical Garden, where they were hosting "Jurassic Park" - life sized dinosaurs were planted all around the garden. The boys loved it -- the little one kept saying "Roar!" and the big one met a friend named Mathew and the two of them ran around excitedly. They also now have an open bar, and I treated Joey and myself to a few cocktails to make our experience even better. 

I asked Little Man if he thought the dinosaurs were alive. "Grandpa Dev! A meteor killed the dinosaurs!" So I got one of these on my hands again...He's only 4.

This am I got a surprise -- D2 was in South Miami Dade for an appointment -- did I want to go to breakfast? Ha -- as if that was even a question that needed an answer.

We drove to LOL, and at the next table was a mid to late 60s woman who smiled and said hello as if she recognized me. She did -- we were classmates at UM, and in a few moments her name came back to memory. She asked if I had heard from her old friend Carrie -- she had been meaning to call her -- she knew she practiced up in Palm Beach or Martin County. I shared the sad news -- Carrie had died a few years back. The march of years...

We brought matzoh brie to Wifey, and D2 and I retired to the library to get her some books to fill her new bookcases. I bored her with tales of many of them, and then I came to a paperback pamphlet from 1969 and there was a story I had never told.

I was in second grade, and the teacher asked us to either draw or write a poem -- the best would be included in a Levittown School District publication called "Reflections." I couldn't come up with anything, but then remembered a book my sister Sue had - one of those Hallmark, hippie days things with kids and dogs with big eyes called "What Color is Love?"

I wrote down the book word for word -- clearly more poignant message that love is ALL colors than the typical 8 year old could muster -- and handed it in.

In the Spring, the teacher called me to the front of the class -- my selection was the only one from East Broadway Elementary to make it in! Even at 8, I knew I was in too deep to recant, and so I bowed at the applause.

I came home and showed my parents the book. My sister Sue, 21 at the time, immediately ratted me out -- showing my parents the book I had clearly copied! Instead of punishing me for my early plagiarism, my parents explained to me why it was wrong, and that was that.

But I learned a lesson -- you could get away with crap in this world if you're smart and nice enough about it!

D2 inherited my Ferris Bueller-ness. D1 not so much -- she is much more earnest.

I think hearing the tale made D2's morning. She's not effusive, but has the world's cutest giggle -- and I heard it.

Afterwards, Wifey joined us, and we spoke of days gone by and D2's late grandparents -- especially since Grandma Sunny's yahrzeit had just passed.

I told D2 another tale she didn't know -- about her grandpa Richard. He was in Feldafing, in a Displaced Persons camp. He and some fellow Survivors were enjoying a picnic by a lake, and screams rose up from a group of Germans down the shore. A girl was drowning, and none of the former Nazis could swim.

Given what had happened to his family at the hands of those bastards, Richard could well have done nothing, but instead he dove in, swam out to the girl, and saved her life. Richard was an amazing swimmer and all around athlete -- even after the depravations of the camps.

He returned the girl to her family, and the parents thanked him, and the others turned away in shame.

Funny how so much has changed nearly 80 years later -- as evidenced by the nonsense going on at US college campuses.

Meanwhile, speaking of Jewishness, Rabbi Yossi and Nechama invited Wifey and me over tonight -- Pesach is nearing the end. Wifey is none too pleased about the 8 pm start time, but we're going.

I found out two of my favorite judges are going -- two fellows married to each other -- and I look forward to spending some time with them.

Maybe we'll create some new memories...

No comments: