Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Young People

 I'm agist. With rare exceptions, I much prefer the company to young people to that of old people. Old people, and since a wise writer once said that 60 is the beginning of old age, I include myself, tend to talk a lot about medical issues and infirmities. 

Young people are on the make -- for advancing in life, careers, family. It's truly invigorating.

Last night, I was invited to the Heat game with a young lawyer friend Michael. As fate had it, D2 and Jonathan were invited to the game, too, with their friends Robbie and Tara. So I got the idea for the 6 of us to meet pre-game at Il Gabbiano. It was delightful.

I got there first, and took a seat at the bar to make sure the martinis were up to snuff. They were. D2 arrived next, by Uber, and chose a glass of white wine. Next it was Tara and Robbie, and the waiter took our drinks to our table, where a bit later Jonathan joined us.

It was delightful. Tara and Robbie are young lawyers, and so D2 and Jonathan had to endure a bunch of war story talk, but they were fine with it. Soon we shifted to housing -- Michael and his lovely wife Sari just closed on their house on Miami Beach, and D2 and Jonathan will be moving into their first real nest in the Shores in January.

I don't recall anyone mentioning a urologist, cardiologist, or even a dermatologist. It was grand.

We walked to the arena -- I think now named after a tropical starch -- Casava? Tara's firms seats were awesome -- and 15 rows behind Mike's. D2 enjoyed taking a photo of the back of my head.

Mike's seats were the best I ever sat in for an NBA game -- close to center court, and the perfect height -- just above the 7 footers. The Heat arena is one of the best in the league -- though it seats 20k, it's somehow very intimate.

The game was a great one, thought the Heat blew a lead and lost. But the action was great, and more importantly, Mike and I discussed the law business, and the nature of firms and partners. He is so sharp and savvy -- I'm immensely proud of him. 

And the good news is the senior guys get it -- and treat him very well. They're wise to keep him happy -- he makes their life very easy, professionally.

It's funny -- Mike came from a very middle class background, like I did, and like me, appreciates and is somehow amazed at how far he's come. It's refreshing.

Many young people are, like Jesse Jackson once said, "Born on third base and act as if they hit a triple." I've also seen plenty of people from humble beginnings become VERY affected -- acting like Leona Helmsley. It's not a good look.

After the game, Mike Ubered home to the Beach, and I walked with the young-uns back to the restaurant. Jonathan dropped us off -- Tara and Robbie live right next to my office.

I came home very happy -- so great to be in their company.

Today I have grandpa duties -- got to fetch the Little Man at school and take him home. I plan to enjoy the weather later -- finally true fire pit weather -- supposed to be in the 50s tonight. 

I will light a fire, maybe pour some nice herbal tea, and talk to the Big Man.

Lots and lots of blessings from Him...

No comments: