Friday, December 8, 2023

Back To Back Trips

 So Fate called with 2 separate requests last month. First, my nephew of another mister Scott contacted us -- he planned to ask his long time girlfriend Sam to marry him -- would we come to DC for a surprise party to honor this? Of course we would. Then Joelle and Kenny called -- would we join them for a few days vacation? Of course we would. Joelle and Kenny were going Sunday December 3, and we begged off one of the days for DC, but otherwise it worked out.

Friday Wifey and I Ubered to MIA, to find the Centurion Lounge, our favorite trip beginning, "oversubscribed." There was a 30 minute wait to get in, so we just walked to the gate. The flight attendant reminded me it was past noon, and there was no reason NOT to have a few Titos, which I did, and slept most of the flight.

We taxied to the Georgetown Marriott, and met up with Scott's crew -- including his Aunt Franny and her girl Marissa, with Marissa's lovely Israeli husband and two boys close in age to our grandsons. We really enjoyed their company -- sort of substitute grandkids for the weekend.

Friday night Barry took the crew to Cactus Cantina, a great Mexican place that reminded me of El Torito's, the Mexican place in the Falls which was the site of many happy law school memories. The next am, Wifey and I met at the M Club, and chatted with Franny -- she met her husband Ron and our girl Donna in Junior High in Queens, and it was nice to compare notes about childhoods in that part of the world -- the Queens/Nassau border, where I was born, too.

At 2 came the surprise event -- a hip brunch place called Lila May, I think. For some mental block reason, I kept getting the name wrong. But we finally got to meet Sam's family -- we've been knowing Sam, as the AAs say, for quite awhile now. Her family was delightful -- and tall! Dad David is 6 4, and warm and welcoming, and Mom Nancy hugged me and we acted as if we were lifelong friends.

We spotted the young media couple entering, and shouted surprise! Sam was ebullient! I told her to watch out for carpal tunnel syndrome as she kept bending her hand back to show off the beautiful ring. We ate, and laughed, and it was a delightful afternoon. 

That night, we Ubered again, to a place called Crow and Crown, for a cocktail party. It was packed with Sam and Scott's friends -- from CNN and radio station WTOP. Sam and Scott were literally on top of the world -- the drinks flowed, as did the love.

Of course, I had to have some devious fun, which I did when a middle aged Jewess approached -- Sam's second cousin. We compared where we lived, and it turned out she lived in Miami for years, but could "never again because Florida is now all fucking Republicans." I listened, and then told her I was Chair of the Miami Dade GOP, and Ivanka Trump had been to my house several times. Her agape mouth was priceless, and I waited a few beats before telling her I was messing with her. Wifey rolled her eyes, and she often does when I prank people.

We left near midnight, and the party was still in full swing. I said goodbye to Barry's future consuegro, and as we hugged -- he kissed me. I kissed him back. Cheeks, of course -- I mean, we don't know each other THAT well yet.

We agreed we would both do some damage together on the simcha front. He was misty eyed -- as I was when my Ds got engaged to great men. David, Sam's Dad, now is experiencing that, and it's grand.

The next am I saw the group for coffee, and then hosted a VERY old friend -- John N! He's the former CIA agent, and his book is going to be made into a series -- "Debriefing the President." Barry and Scott joined us, and we learned a lot about current geopolitics. I had no idea that the Chinese got half their oil from the Mideast, whereas the US is not essentially free from that dependence. John is pretty sure the Chinese will be the ones who settle things down there -- they simply can't afford to lose the oil supply.

We kept the Long Island reminiscing to a minimum, lest Wifey fall asleep. It was great to catch up with him.

From there, to Washington National. Our gates were right next to each other, allowing Barry, Josh, and I to have a few farewell cocktails. But then fog did it's work -- Wifey and I were delayed 4 hours, and made it home Monday at 2 am. Eh.

D2 and Jonathan and the enormous dog Betsy were asleep. Betsy barked at us, and then fled. She has anxiety issues.

In the am, we caught up with them -- they were staying for the next leg of our vacays, too, and Wifey and I finally got ourselves out of the house around 230 pm.

Joelle had wanted to go to Key West, but Wifey asked away from that, on account of it's triggering to her, and so Joelle picked Vero Beach instead.

The hotel was lovely -- Vero reminded me of Delray Beach in the late 70s -- not at all crowded -- you can cross AIA without nearly dying

We met at the hotel bar, and then to a fine place Joelle picked called The Tides, for a delicious dinner. Tuesday we sat at the Beach for hours, talking and looking at the sea. I had a few talks with the Big Man, and the spirits of my parents, too.

Tuesday night, we drove to Downtown Vero, to a craft beer place, and then to a strip center for a place called Fire and Wine, which was excellent. We recalled last year, when we ate together in Lyon. The food was pretty good in Vero, too.

Wednesday am, we said goodbye after I walked miles with Kenny and Joelle while Wifey slept, and then we had the 2.5 hour drive home.

Happily, D2 and Jonathan decided to stay the night, rather than fight the Art Basel traffic. They live in the epicenter of that clustertraffic. I thought that called for a special UberEats, and I brought in Platea -- a prime tomahawk steak and some ceviche. I had picked up a cold in DC, but saw no need to avoid a few martinis with my wonderful son in law.

They left yesterday, and I unpacked and got stuff back into order. The cold is nearly gone, thankfully.

D1 and Joey loved the reports of the Vero Hotel so much they booked a few nights in February. We'll be on grandson duty. If D1 gives the approval, we might have a whole family vacation at Coste D'Este in March. There are LOTS of seashells on the beach, and the nearly 4 year old loves collecting them. Joey may need some industrial boxes for a trip home.

Last night I sat at the firepit and drank tea, and reflected on things -- despite the world turmoil -- things in the family are pretty, pretty, pretty ok.

It seems like a few months ago I held Scott at his bris -- and now he's on the perch of being a married man.

Sunrise, sunset. And what a privilege it is to get to celebrate that.

No comments: