Friday, December 29, 2023

Sprinting Towards 2024

 So yesterday was a fine one: to fulfill a birthday wish, the Ds came over to watch a movie with Wifey. D1 toted the Baby Man, and D2 brought Betsy, the enormous puppy. They watched "Maestro," which was boring, since it only talked about Bernstein's gay life. Who cares who the master schtupped -- let's learn more about why he was a genius!

 I ordered in Carrot Express, but refrained from eating my Legal Wrap, as there was another shift for partying. After D1 and Baby Man left to go fetch Little Man at holiday camp, my nephew of another brother Scott and his fiancee Sam came over -- to watch the Canes play their crappy bowl game.

Indeed, the game was crappy, as the Canes lost for the first time EVER to Rutgers, but I poured martinis, and D2 drank Prosecco, and I ordered in Takee Outee, proving to Scott empirically that indeed such a politically incorrectly named place, a holdover from the 60s, exists.

The young journalists left, to go meet family at a restaurant on Miami Beach, and though they invited me to tag along, the martini buzz and thought of MORE football was the stronger draw. D2 left for a "book club" meeting with old middle school buddies, right in our hood, and Wifey left for a dinner with Boston Sheryl and a gaggle of her friends.

Sheryl is amazing -- even though she moved back to her native Boston 20 years ago, she still is able to gather together old friends when she visits -- they went to Catula, a Spanish place we introduced Shery and her BF Mark to years ago.

I stayed home with Betsy and the regular dog residents, and indeed watched MORE football. Betsy barked when my channel surfing stopped at the AKC show.

D2 and Wifey each returned after 10, and D2 decided to spend the night, rather than drive back to South Beach. Betsy agreed with the decision -- she much prefers Pinecrest. They got up early and already headed home, though, on this gorgeous Miami winter day.

As for me? We hold our firm's end of the year meeting at Gulfstream each year, and that falls today. Our comptroller, also known as my bro in law Dennis, is in town from Tampa, and we shall gather with Paul and his experienced horeseman buddy Lou. Lou's expertise seems to insure that we lose our money more slowly over the course of the day -- though the cameraderie is the main reason for the meet.

Poor Dennis has to deal with annoyance. He came Wednesday night, for a Thursday meeting with other clients in Palm Beach County. As he drove to the meeting yesterday, the car was off. Sure enough, the dealer diagnosed the problem: thieves had stolen his catylitic converter from the car parked in the Palm Beach Gardens hotel lot! Bastards. He left the car for repairs, and has a rental, but now must drive home to Tampa tomorrow, and then BACK to the east coast next week to fetch his vehicle. May the thieves get run over by another karma...

But we have a fine day in store. I'm bringing a bottle of a fine Rioja, given to me by friend and stock broker Pat, and Lou bringing a nice bottle of Pinot, from his friend the wine expert. I shall sample each, but my inspiration will come from my usual vodka martinis -- we'll see if today I FINALLY get as lucky at horses as I've been in love.

Sunday the potential plan is dinner with Joelle and Kenny and their visiting grad school son Adam, and then an early night to bed, to wake up to , hopefully, 2024.

It's my brother Eric's birthday today, and I sent him a photo of us in drag at Wifey's shower, held at crowded Victoria Station in Dadeland Mall 37 years ago. It was my idea to crash the party that way, and somehow I got Eric, a future neurosurgeon, and two future lawyers to each dress as women to attend.

We were all WAY pre menopausal then -- now decades past child bearing years. But hell -- those years have been great!

No comments: