Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Grandsons

 Among the embarrassment of blessings Wifey and I have, at the top of the list is having both Ds and their men in Miami with us. Of course, Wifey employs the "Yes, but" approach to things, and points out that in traffic, which is most of the time in Miami, the drive to see them is an hour. It's true, though you can make it in 35 minutes during the rare traffic breaks.

But even at an hour, it is awesome to be able to see the family. And we're in a rarity -- we haven't seen the grandkids in more than 2 weeks! We saw them after T Day, and then we left for Washington D.C., and my nephew of another mister Scott's surprise proposal party. As soon as we returned, it was off to Vero Beach for a few nights, and the rest of that week I was fighting a D.C. acquired cold, and wanted to stay away from the Little Man and Baby Man. Last weekend, D1 and Joey were MUY busy, and we had plans Sunday, and then D1 asked whether we could fetch Little Man at school today, so she could handle a client call, and we said of course. So today is the day.

I realize that 2 weeks is nothing, and our friends with out of state grandkids want to kill us for the envy. But we get used to being a constant part of the little guys' lives, and after a week passes, well, it's time.

Sunday am Wifey slept in, and I met Paul and Patricia for a Pillars event at Chabad/Friendship Circle. Rabbi and Nechama invited long time supporters to tour the facility, which is indeed impressive, and, of course, ask for more money.

Every event has to have at least one wise ass, and it's typically me. I told the Rabbi I might well have pledged to "pay" for the mezuzzah outside of the mikva, but someone already took that obligation. He asked about other mezuzzahs, and I said no, I wanted my name to be outside the room women see before they take off their clothes. Rabbi laughed, but said "No, seriously, what about others?" I put him off, for now.

The Miami Dade County Mayor was there, Daniella Levine Cava. She played the true politician she is -- I went up to greet her, and tell her we met when D1 leased space from her husband the concierge doctor. I told her that when he said she was running for mayor, I was skeptical that a progressive Democrat could win in Miami Dade -- particularly a non Latin one, and how I was happy I was wrong -- she was doing a great job.

She sort of half thanked me, and then spotted a much bigger fish than I , an older lawyer very involved in Democratic politics -- and bolted for him as if she were a fraternity brother chatting with a dude and they were starting the wet t shirt contest. I chuckled to myself -- impressive she was elected despite not being charming at all. 

But most importantly, she has been a major supporter to Chabad/Friendship Circle, and that makes me happy.

After the ceremony, Paul and Patricia came over, we woke up Wifey, and then headed to LOL to meet Donna and Barry, who were returning from the Keys. After a great breakfast, we retreated to Villa Wifey, where Paul, Barry, and I drank some wine and vodka, and the ladies talked decorating.

It was another pleasant valley Sunday...

And today we see the boys! Typically Wednesdays I head tot he office to get out of our weekly housekeeper Miriam's visit, but today made an exception, and we're going to fetch D2 and Betsy on the way.

Wifey bought the Little Man an astronaut suit for Chanukah and I have a feeling it's going to become a favorite -- he already has a canvas tent rocket ship and loves to spend time in it talking about space...Now he can dress the part.

So I am MOST looking forward to seeing those guys.

And I also got good news from my annual physical yesterday. I am very fat but surprisingly healthy -- the Cleveland Clinic blood panel shows VERY low cholesterol and VERY low bad cholesterol.

My new doc, Rigoberto, says of course losing weight would be good, but I don't seem to be in imminent position to leave this mortal coil.

D1, the dietitian, was happy with the news, but reminded me it doesn't give me license to freely consume vodka and McDonalds like her late grandmother did. I corrected her: Grandma Sunny was a devotee of Burger King.

We also made plans for the big day, December 25th. Most families gather to celebrate the virgin birth of a boy in Israel over 2050 years ago. We gather to celebrate the regular style birth of a girl in Israel 8 years after the modern State of Israel was born: Wifey!

Last year, we went to the Versacci mansion, and had a fine time, but the Ds were very cold in the outdoor courtyard, so Wifey agreed to instead go for paella, one of her favorites.

We're off to Casa Juancho, which is older than I have been in Miami, I think. I've been a few times -- once a reunion of my old law firm's staff. At that visit, I noticed a guy about my age, wearing leather biker gear, with a woman about his age, eating paella and drinking sangria.

Holy crap! It was Jon Bon Jovi. Few of the other diners had any idea who he was, but the host told me he and his wife come all the time, and indeed in the parking lot there was some kind of amazing Harley they rode over from I think their South Beach condo.

Wifey has a crush on him, but I'm guessing that a New Jersey Italian won't be at a restaurant on Christmas Day.

But, like with everything in life, ya never know...

No comments: