Friday, April 28, 2023

Two Night Bachelerhood

 So Joey headed to Dallas on business, and D1 asked Wifey if she wanted to come stay with her, and play with the grandsons. She did, and headed up to Shorecrest Wednesday afternoon.

I went to Brickell, and had lunch with Stu, and the highlight of the day was a long catch up with Brian, our former of counsel partner. Brian's a great guy -- joined us in '07, and really had a tight future with Stu -- working cases together. He was married to a fellow Miamian, and they had 3 little boys -- the Ds used to babysit.

But, alas, the wife was unhappy. They belonged to a rich synagogue, and the wife didn't like being one of the poorer members -- the synagogue had a lot of old Miami Jewish money. She was also one of those Miamians who never accepted the Latinization of our town. Whatever. Brian decided to make her happy, and he moved the family to Orlando, where they would be, in contrast, of a higher station in life.

Alas, his wife learned that, wherever you go, there you are. She was deeply depressed. Brian got a great job, and the boys thrived, but their marriage ended. Brian told us he so regretted moving to please his wife -- he misses the fraternity we built here -- after work cocktails where we would discuss the cases and life.

Luckily, his boys have soared. The oldest is graduating UF, the middle one a rising junior at college in PA, and the youngest beginning high school -- and is a violin virtuoso. Still, Stu, Brian and I lamented what may have been -- we all worked great together. And the thought of trying to make your spouse happy at the expense of what YOU wish in life -- well -- that's a fools' errand.

Anyway, I planned on my typical bachelor night, when Wifey is out of town -- dinner at a bar. I drove to Captain's Tavern, and got a seat next to three older ladies, who were finishing up. They were flirting with the bearded bartender, who asked if they wanted one check or three "Well -- are you into threesomes?" the youngest, probably 60, asked. Oh boy.

It took awhile for him to get my drink, and then he was dealing with all of the other orders. It occurred to me that Stu and I had eaten lunch just 3 hours earlier, and I wasn't very hungry, and so left after the one drink. I started watching the Heat game with the dogs -- they weren't interested, and when I told them the next morning the Heat had upset the #1 seed Bucks, they were nonplussed.

Yesterday I met Juan for the workout, and then ran a few errands. Dinner time came around. Would I do my bar dinner thing? I would not -- too lazy to change out of my shorts -- I opted instead for some microwaved freezer chicken.

Meanwhile, Wifey stayed an extra night, and is coming home today. Tomorrow night we head up to Aventura for dinner with Stu and Traci. In a funny twist, Traci invited a bunch of people on a text thread, which included Wifey's friend Cara. Cara barely knows Traci and Stuart, and assumed it was US hosting. When I pointed out the mistake, Stu, ever gracious, said of course Cara was welcome, and so we'll fetch her from her Aventura apartment -- she moved there from Belle Isle last month.

Sunday, D1 and Joey are bringing the boys here for bagels and day drinking. D1 bought a wagon with a cover -- Joey, skilled in ways I am NOT -- will put it together and we will take the little guys for a walk around the 'hood in search of peafowl and iguanas.

So bachelorhood is ending, and that's ok. I enjoy it for a bit, but prefer the company of Wifey. She's headed to a wedding, solo, in Colorado in August, and given the logistics of her going without me, may turn into a far longer trip. I will, like Gloria Gaynor, survive.

No comments: