Saturday, April 29, 2023

In My Mind I'm Going To Aventura

 Ah, Aventura. Pasadena is the "City of Churches." Aventura is the "City of NO Churches." In a municipal fact that always makes me laugh, the city has zero. They have something like 10 different synagogues, ranging from the yuuuuuge Aventura Turnberry Jewish Center, where we attended some weddings and Bnai Mitzot, to smaller Chabad satellites in the various condos. Yep -- if you worship the Son or Nephew (Mohammed), you have to leave city limits.

Unsurprisingly, Aventura is home to by far the best Jewish deli in the state: Mo's Bagels and More. It's co-owned by, of all things, Egyptian Mo, who realized shortening his name to Mo from Mohammed might be good for business. The co-owner is Paul, a Venezuelan Jew who is a pretty good family friend -- his wife is one of D1's mentors in Federation. Paul is also newly elected to the Aventura Commission, and will likely end up mayor of the Commission which, unsurprisingly, consists of all Old Testament folks.

Paul and Patricia live there, on Williams Island, a luxury development built by Trump. No -- not THAT Trump, but Jules -- the Jewish and maybe not as rich version. There's also a developed named Billy Joel -- but not the singer.

Stu and Traci also live there, in a lovely townhouse development called Aventura Lakes, which I last visited pre-plague. Old friend Allison started a text thread to keep us all posted on her Dad Sy's progress -- he had major health issues, and we thought it might be the final chapter for this wonderful 90 something man -- but Sy rallied, and is doing great.

Allison had on the test Wifey and me, Paul, Patricia, Stu, and Traci, and also Cara, who is close with Allison and Wifey. This gets confusing, as I learned last night on Zoom as I tried to explain the connections to Barry and Donna. But Al said the nice but really doesn't mean anything "We should all get together," and then Traci did the nice AND meaningful  "OK -- my house April 29th -- I'll make my signature rib roast."

The funny thing is that Traci doesn't really know Cara, who was on the thread, and Cara assumed the invite was coming from Wifey, though if Wifey ever texted "I'll make my signature ANYTHING," anyone who knows her would call the cops and report a kidnapping.. When I pointed out this to Stu, being the gracious host he is, he said of course Cara was welcome, and the night was set.

Coincidentally, Cara just moved last month to the Vi, in Aventura, and Wifey and I will fetch her on our way.

This late addition seems like no big deal, but it contrasted with me how some folks FREAK when an extra guest appears at a function. Paul reminds me of one time it happened to him -- he popped in on a birthday celebration just to give the birthday man a hug and was greeted with his seething daughter -- "What are YOU doing here?!" she demanded. Paul assured her he wasn't there for the cheap Italian food -- he just wanted to hug her Dad, which he did, and then left. Nah -- Stu and Traci say "Grab a plate -- great to have you!"

And then, Stu and Traci texted Donna and Barry -- would they come as well? They would, though Barry grouses about having to return across the Broward -Miami Dade line on weekends after making the commute all week. I suggested maybe they carpool with Allison, who now lives in Cooper City, or as she calls it, in her inimitable Allison way, "Booper Bitty." I hope they get that figured out -- they adore Al, and will enjoy catching up on the journey to the City of No Churches.

I told Stu I would bring the vodka, and grabbed a big bottle of Ketel at Total Wine yesterday. The cashier said "But Wait. There's More!" Apparently Ketel came with a jar of gourmet "Filthy Olives," which retail for $8. So I grabbed an extra set -- D1 and Joey are bringing the boys tomorrow, and Joey just might twist my arm to make it a bagels and martinis kind of Sunday.

So I-95 soon beckons, my big man sized SUV. I've been enjoying driving this full sized vehicle around -- actually getting in without having to bend my aging neck. Ah. And the middle seats are captain's chairs, so Cara will be comfy for the 5 minute drive from the Vi to Aventura Lakes.

I'm most looking forward to this get together tonight -- with friends I've had and been privileged to introduce to they became friends, too. Barry and I met when we were boys -- he was 17 and I was 19. This July we turn 62 and his big one: 60. 

Lots of good times and riches and son of a bitches have gone by in our friendship time, to borrow from Jimmy Buffet. But tonight just the good times. But no New Testament prayers...

No comments: