Thursday, September 1, 2022

To America's Whitest State

 So I spent a day in true schlepper fashion -- designed to make myself crave getting on a plane and getting out of humid hot Dodge.

After a few hours in the office, I headed up to NE Miami, fetched the nanny, and then drove to Bay Harbor to fetch the adorable toddler grandson. He had been told I was getting him today, and he smiled his impish smile, and followed me out to the SUV. He explained very clearly in Spanish that it was raining, and yet we had no umbrellas. He was correct.

Back at the house, I played with the 7 week old gorgeous little brother -- at one point getting the two bros on the couch to watch Coco Melon, which is the new version of the Wee Sing videos we used to play for the Ds -- bright colors, simple melodies, sweet morality messages.

After a few hours, I left for Miami Beach, across the Julia Tuttle. I drive it all the time, and each and every time I marvel at how gorgeous our city is. I passed Mt. Sinai Hospital, and recalled visiting both my Mom and father in law there in the final weeks of their lives -- before they each returned to Miami Jewish Home to die.

Then down Alton to D2 and Jonathan's place on the Bay, where I assumed control of the enormous dog, and caught up with D2. And then it was an hour back to Pinecrest.

Tomorrow our flight leaves at 8:30, you'll pardon the expression, as my old boss Ed used to say about early appointments. Wifey is none too pleased, but realizes the connection requires an early departure. We fly to D.C., change, and hopefully make our connection to Portland, Maine -- America's whitest state.

From the Portland airport, we have an hour Uber up to Oxford, and then 4 nights with our dear friends. Ought to be a lovely time.

I realized I haven't been on a plane since December of '19 -- nearly 3 years! Wifey took a single trip to Atlanta -- on her own, earlier this year, and got Covid after she returned.

Truth is, my desire to travel has fallen to dangerously low levels. Wifey has always been the one to goad us into going places -- unless they involved away Canes games, in which case I DID initiate -- and I'm glad she did. Because of her, we got to see many wonderful things. I still remember walking the streets of Istanbul! Really? I was there? It gave me, technically, the cred of having been to Asia.

We've seen most of the US, including Alaska. We've been to Central America, and South America. We've been to Europe many times -- France thrice -- and are due to go back in late October for a Lyon to Avignon river cruise.

The pattern for me is the same -- sort of resignation of having to deal with the hassles of travel -- and then I thoroughly enjoy the trip once we're there.

Part of the reason is I'm spoiled -- I LOVE where I live. My most sacred people are all within 60 miles or so, and each day I get up and walk through a tropical paradise -- though I prefer it when it's cooler.

So off in  a few hours to Oxford, Maine. As I drove across the causeway last evening, and looked at Miami's towering skyline, it occurred to me that a single one of those towers has a greater population than the entire town we're visiting.

I guess the change for a few days is healthy -- though it IS disorienting to me to only hear English spoken. But that's ok.

No comments: