Saturday, September 24, 2022

Taking Stock

 So I had this morning all planned -- walk 3 miles, come home, get ready, and then head to Canes game. Thankfully latest reports show storm Ian will leave Miami alone. And then came a text, from Chris -- "Breakfast?" Hmmm...Walking in the heat, or breakfast with Chris and Mike. There are those who would have begged off the caloric intake, and instead chosen to sweat. I am NOT one of those.

And so we three -- they generations 2 and 3 of Hurricane lawyers -- met at Roasters South to catch up. We noted that the restaurant had crossed a boundary -- they now offer an omelette for $25. We lamented the closing of Ruben's Cuban nearby -- one could get a great breakfast there for $5. Ah, halcyon days...

To win points, I brought Wifey home half of my nova scramble, which she loves, and now I plan to chill until I leave around noon. Mirta bought me 2 bottles of Stoli Oranj for tailgates, and the first will be brought today. As a non Metro guy going alone, I also plan to stop by Pinecrest Bakery and bring pastelitos. Dessert and vodka -- two of the main food groups.

And then tomorrow is Rosh Hashonah -- Jewish New Year. 5783 is a'comin' -- and what have you done? I plan to take stock these Days of Awe -- culminating with Yom Kippur -- the Day of Atonement.

My nephew of another brother Scott joked on our text link that he was hoping for pulled pork at the tailgate -- to HAVE something to atone for. I responded that if the nearly 26 year old had to create dietary sins to have something to redeem for -- I had failed as an uncle!

I was reflecting on the power of words -- their effects last decades. Recently Wifey shared with me how she still bears resentment towards me for things I said in the 90s. And without details, she said some things to me back then, when we were raising young kids and life seemed to be far more fast paced and short on time, that still bother me.

I think about that when I watch young couples, and wish I could share that wisdom with them. This idea of "being honest" and "Sharing how I really feel" is for the birds. Truth is, if you plan to make a marriage last a long time, you HAVE to keep things in. Honesty is way overrated.

I saw my eye doc yesterday -- I need follow up for possible glaucoma. No big deal -- I may need drops, if that. And I read about it -- glaucoma causes blindness in 20 -70 years! 20 would get me to 81 -- what'll be left to see then, anyway? And 70 plus 61 is well off the consideration chart, of course.

The point is the years grow far more precious. It becomes crucial to decide, as Bob Seger sang, what to leave in; what to leave out.

Certain people are energy or joy vampires. Sometimes you have no choice, you MUST deal with them. But when you have the choice, avoid them like, well, Covid 19.

Other people are helium tanks. After you spend time with them, you're floating, or you truly learned something you didn't know before. These are the people to seek out.

So my resolution is to be more careful with my words. I will try not to wound. Years ago, Wifey and the Ds noted I have a power, because of my sharp mind and articulate nature, to truly erupt into "solar rays of cruelty." Rarely -- that is needed, but only to those truly deserving of it. It is a power that must be wielded wisely and judiciously.

Beginning tomorrow, how can I be better? How can I elevate those I care about? How can I avoid hurting them? What more can I do that is charitable?

It seems the Days of Awe is the right time to consider this.

No comments: