Friday, September 23, 2022

Tensosity of The Storm Season

 So I've had calmer Friday mornings than today's. First, I saw Dr. Schimel, the eye doc who laser fixed my torn retina 3.5 years ago. He told me that my retinas looked fine, but I had raised pressure in my right eye -- he wants me to see the glaucoma guy in his practice.

I immediately thought of the Borsht Belt jokes about hyperspecialization among docs -- would this new doc, Matthew Brink, only treat LEFT eyes? But Dr. S said he'd either not treat me, or prescribe drops, since simple glaucomas take 20-70 years to cause blindness. So no big whoop.

And then the forecast changed -- a storm still just a depression is now forecast to hit Florida as a major hurricane. The good news for us is that the current track has it nailing the Gulf Coast, but it could change. Still -- the tension level rises -- Wifey already passively aggressively asking on the family texts if maybe NOW we should get a full house generator?

Nah. My friends Norman and Deb had one, and the thing crapped out after a day last time -- after they spent a ton on it. And the truth is, I don't really care to live in a 'hood without power anyway -- the last times we had fun staycations at local hotels. So that''s my continued storm plan.

Of course now there are 2 small boys in the calculus -- but D1 and Joey have 2 car seats, and if we need to relocate, we will. Hopefully this is just another scare for no reason.

Meanwhile, we DID have an unexpectedly nice Thursday evening. Wifey convinced me to go with her for a pedicure, and since I'm still having difficulty bending, I agreed. The nice Vietnamese lady did a fine job.

Afterwards, we walked to Flanagan's, and were told the wait was 30 minutes. Nah -- I ain't waiting for that kind of restaurant more than a few minutes. So we walked next door to Piola, a local Italian chain, and it was Ladies Night.

It meant free wine for Wifey (I drank her glass of pinot grigio) and they had a lovely duo playing live music -- a pretty woman keyboardist/singer and a fellow on horns. They were very good, although my age showed when I played "Name That Tune" and I said a few notes were from Santana/Rob Thomas's "Smooth," and the song was instead Camilla Carbello's newer tune. That's ok -- I got Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" correct.

Afterwards, we came home and watched "Top Gun II," which was, well, watchable. So it was a nice evening.

Tomorrow the Canes play, and I will be attending for my first time this season. I missed the opener up in Maine, and gave Paul my tix for the second game on account of muscle pain and going with D2 and Jonathan to buy their Jeep off lease.

Hopefully we won't all be coming home to storm prep.

Sunday is Rosh Hashonah, and we're invited to mi consuegros -- D1's in laws. Jacqui hosts a lovely time -- we've evolved into they do RH and we host T Day, on account of we're more gringo. D2 and Jonathan are going to mis otro consuegros, Lizbeth and David.

The Days of Awe. I was telling my totally non Yiddishkeit California sister about the High Holidays' true meaning, and it resonates with me. First we celebrate, and then soon after, atone and take stock of our lives.

I just hope I get to do these things from a house with working electricity...

No comments: