Friday, September 9, 2022

A Literal Pain In The Ass

 So three Sundays ago, I must have hurt my right hip -- probably chasing after the adorable toddler grandson. I don't recall an actual injury, but when I got home that night, the hip hurt. I canceled my training session and instead saw a resident PT at the gym -- Dr, Mike.

He had me do some motion testing, and concluded it wasn't the joint itself, but the gluteal muscles on my right side that I strained. He gave me some massage and exercises to follow, and over the next two weeks, it got better. The pain was there in Maine, but just a bit, like when I got into or out of a car. I even played pickleball for the first time!

And then, Wednesday am, the pain was back -- with a vengeance. I don't know whether it was from the trip, but it was really bad -- for me, a normally pain free guy, anyway. I made an appointment to see Julio Robla's PA -- first appointment is 9/20. And then I called my family doc and she saw me.

She agrees it is likely muscular, and prescribed a relaxant, generic Flexoril. I took it and slept -- a lot . Most of yesterday, and last night. Unfortunately, it didn't do much, if anything, for the pain.

I DID walk today -- 1.4 miles, with a tinge in my high right buttock. And then I decided to skip tomorrow's Canes game --- noon kickoff, I was going to drive up to Joe Robbie myself, and Paul was looking for tickets for his son and nephew and their friends. 

Instead of the game, I'll meet D2 and Jonathan -- their Jeep lease is in my name, and you have to go to the dealership these days to purchase a vehicle off lease -- so the dealership can try to rip you off and steal additional fees. I am prepared to argue with those gonifs tomorrow -- and my butt pain will make me even more aggressive with the dealers.

Maine was lovely -- Kenny and Joelle had a full house. The first evening their radiologist couple friends were there -- along with their 2nd born son and his three friends. We all went to a local outdoor pizza place.

The next 3 nights and days were spent mostly cooking and cleaning up from the meals for the 8 of us -- two couples and the 4 young men. We went out on the pontoon boat and had a happy hour. Kenny and I went to town and bought lobsters for a boil on Sunday night. The weather was lovely.

Monday, the weather changed -- gray and rainy. We had a farewell lunch with our hosts, and Oxford taxi took us the 45 minutes to the Portland Jetport. Amazingly, we mad all connections through D.C. and got home late Monday night -- to two happy dogs.

D2 and Jonathan had fetched Betsty earlier, and met Talia, the lovely dog sitter. She's starting nursing school in January, and so can watch our pups again in late October, when we go away again -- to France, to celebrate Joelle's 60th birthday in the Rhone River.

The muscle strain I have would have been a 2 day recovery in my 20s, 30s, and maybe even 40s. Now it's going on week three, and I still have the literal pain in the ass.

As Tony S said -- yeah, but what are ya gonna do? Slog through it, is my only response.

No comments: