Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Walk Back in Time

 Wednesdays are the days I tend to visit the office on Brickell, just to make an appearance and see if I can help tie up any loose ends. And when I do, I tend to stop at Bagel Emporium for breakfast, as it's right on the way.

This week is UM's move in for new freshmen, and there was an article in the Herald talking about a housing shortage. I laughed -- nothing's changed. When I was a freshman in '79, a hundred kids or so were put up in the across US 1 Holiday Inn or Howard Johnson's, until they could fit them into the spartan dorms. Those so affected loved it -- maid service and meal vouchers were part of the deal.

This year, the not yet placed kids move into the Thesis, a new luxury hotel located on the old Howard Johnson's spot, or the Dadeland Marriott, also a nice hotel. Also, according to the Herald, total cost to attend UM for a year is now between $78 and $83k, depending on whether you live on campus! Caramba!

I mean, I love the U, but $400K for a Bachelor's degree from there is absurd, unless you're either from a very rich family or get a LOT of scholarships. For the average kid taking out loans, it makes zero sense to spend that much, in my opinion. Possibly it makes sense for an Ivy League school, and it's guaranteed entry into elite circles, but really no other university, in my opinion.

When the Ds were entering freshman, in '06 and '10, tuition was much lower, and D1 got a half tuition scholarship and D2 a 3/4 tuition scholarship. Both wished to go away for school, and headed to UF with Bright Futures paying all of their tuition. Since we had purchased the Florida Pre Paid, for about $10K each, that paid for most of their tuition and room and board. D2 then won a partial scholarship for grad school, and had some Prepaid credits left over, so her MS degree was essentially free, too.

D1 picked FIU for her grad degree, which was also very low tuition. It was a pleasure to pay for her Brickell apartments knowing how little we paid for tuition and fees.

But on the nostalgic side -- today at the Emporium, there were several incoming freshmen and their parents. The parents were wearing UM swag, and the kids looked a bit embarrassed. It brought back the lovely memories I have about moving the Ds into college.

They didn't have to worry about my wearing Gator swag. That's because I always have and continue to loather their football team. Basketball is ok -- I actually dug their championship coach, Billy Donavan, as he was a working class LI kid who made it good. But football -- I am always happy when the Gators lose.

Still -- Gainesville was a great place to go to school -- D1 for 4 years, and D2 for 5. My memory of D1's drop off is a little tarnished. I was sitting at the Copper Monkey, enjoying a burger and beer and pretending I was starting school, while Wifey was helping D1 unpack. Our secretary called me -- she was quitting -- she had it with Paul -- and I had to spend the rest of the weekend scrambling to figure out what to do with big mediations and a trial coming up. Still -- it was lovely seeing D1 all college ready and excited to start her adulthood.

No drama for D2's dropoff -- she had visited her big sister several times, and already had the lay of the land. We moved her into Broward Hall, and cried a bit on I-75 heading South. Wifey and I had essentially done our job -- getting both D2 to adulthood, and on great life paths. D2 would meet her future husband at UF -- D1 after she graduated -- and her man is a fellow Cane. Happy and proud papa.

I noticed elderly Judge Arthur R at the Emporium. He stopped at a table with one of the freshmen co-eds and her parents, and asked if they were beginning UM. They were. He told them he was a double Cane, and how his UM education shaped a wonderful life for him. He's such a sweetheart. I thought about popping up and joining him in the pep talk, but then retreated to the register  to pay, instead. 

Wifey called about a house issue, and I shared with her the scene at the Emporium. I reminded her our time with the Ds was now 16 and 12 years in the past. Wow. How did THOSE years fly by.

Today is also FDOS in Miami Dade -- First Day of School. That brings back another batch of sweet memories, of adorable little girls. D1 is near that stage now, with her boy -- preschool resumes Monday.

I hope the Big Man keeps me around to see college beginnings for my grandsons. Now that would be something...

No comments: