Monday, August 8, 2022

Happy Toddler Sunday

 After decades of experience, Wifey has noted, correctly, that social days spent with families with young children depend on the mood of the young children. If they're whiny and cranky -- the day is one of tensosity. If they're ebullient -- well, then that's  how the day turns out. Thankfully, yesterday at D1 and Joey's was one of the latter.

Wifey and I left the dog infested house and headed up to Shorecrest -- arriving to a scene of a napping Joey and nursing hermanito. The adorable toddler was waking from his non nap, and was in the most wonderful mood -- he was sprung from his crib and immediately set about smacking golf balls, cooking in his kitchen, and running around gaily. 

As the hours went on, there was a scene of absurd cuteness -- he put his head on his baby brother and hugged him. There was singing in Spanish and English, and then a rarity: while focused on a music video, he actually allowed Wifey, who he calls Ipi, to hold his hand!

We played together, and essentially basked in the sacred space of our family. D2 and Jonathan would have been lovely additions, but they were above the Atlantic --returning from their delayed honeymoon.

Paul called. He and Patricia had plans to stop by with the little man's gift -- might they come by last night instead? They could indeed, ruled D1 and Joey, and then D1 ordered in: Hometown Barbecue. HB is gourmet barbecue, with the original spot in Brooklyn, and opened north of Jackson Main. I had eaten there once, with my nephew of another brother Josh, as we waited for his dad Dr. Barry. Alas, Barry was under the weather that night, and so I sent home bbq with his boy. This had been pre plague.

So after Paul and Patricia arrived, so did the food, and we feasted on brisket and chicken and pickles, and two Flintstone sized beef ribs. I treated myself to a few Zhyr vodkas, and my attempts to lure Paul back into drinking failed -- he's on the wagon for awhile. I hope for his sake he falls off soon.

Anyway -- the hours flew by. Patricia had full conversations with the toddler in Spanish. The now 4 week old did his job -- slept and nursed on D1. It was a truly delightful afternoon.

Around 8, Joey and D1 began the nightly ritual of putting the toddler to bed -- negotiations about the number of books, glasses of water, etc...

Wifey and I drove home, so happy, and tired. Just a bit of running after a toddler tires out we 60 somethings.

I told Betsy the enormous puppy it was her last night with us. She shrugged, but made sure to bounce into our bedroom this am to wake me. She gets her final walk with me soon, and then I'll Dadber her back to Miami Beach.

She's a great natured dog. D2 and Jonathan miss her -- it'll be a happy reunion. I texted a video of her barking, and asked "Guess who can't wait for a return to Miami Beach?" D2 answered "Not Betsy." She does love staying here. I responded that I was talking about Wifey, who, after more than a week with the energetic dog, started counting the days until her return.

And that's ok. I look forward to a debriefing about Positano and Santorini. But yesterday, there wasn't no place I would rather have been than right in Northeast Miami.

No comments: