Saturday, August 20, 2022

Kvetching In The Am

 So last night a client meet up in Broward turned into a lovely impromptu sushi meet, up in Pembroke Pines. Dr. Barry had signed out from a week in charge of the PICU, and was asked if it wasn't too intense. 

He replied that he couldn't do it for grown ups -- if he had to take care of them, other than an emergency -- he'd turn in his license. As if on cue, this am gave me a reason why.

I try to walk early, before the August heat becomes oppressive, but often I get waylaid -- feeding the dogs, reading news, etc...This am it was pouring rain through the sunshine, like the Fred Neill song, and so I had to wait.

The rain brought down the temperature a few degrees, but increased the humidity, and so by my first mile, I was drenched. I saw a neighbor, Kay, picking up some branches, and started to chat.

Kay is in her early 80s, and lost her husband Irv three years ago. He was in his mid 90s and a great guy -- used to walk the 'hood with dog treats in his pockets, and therefore became a favorite of all the pooches. They met when he was flying to Miami and Kay was a stewardess, NOT a flight attendant. I've found that women of that era were often proud to be attractive enough to be hired as stewardesses, and do NOT call them flight attendants.

Anyway, I asked how Kay was, and she started a litany of complaints. Her new roof leaked, and roofers "take advantage of women." Most of her golfing companions were dead or incapacitated. She had to finally sell Irv's beloved Cadillac, and settle for a new Lexus.

I found myself trying to comfort her. Roofers took advantage of EVERYONE. She still was able to play golf -- was a pretty good one, as I recalled, and hadn't she mentioned she was driving that new Lexus up to Tampa for a tournament?

Yes, she admitted, but couldn't STAND Tampa -- it was a "poor man's Miami," and why couldn't the tournament be in closer Palm Beach County.

I caught myself and realized it wasn't my place to point out to a wealthy, pretty healthy older woman how lucky she was.

The bubble above my head said what I didn't: "You know -- Barry is right. Kids are wonderful. Cranky old folks --feh!"

Of course I just wished her well, and walked off into the humidity.

We were lucky with my Mom.  All into her final days, she kept her amazing gratitude about life. Even when she was in the nursing home, when I would wheel her outside, she remarked how wonderful the sun felt on her skin. And she'd tell me how the night before they served hot dogs for dinner, "And you know, David, that's my favorite."

It's a shame. I've seen pictures of Kay in her younger years -- she was a stunner. She is still very attractive for an 80 something lady. But I think next time, I'll just wave and save myself  the negativity. I walk in the mornings to enjoy the nature and move my overweight corpus. I ain't needing no rain on my parade.

Meanwhile, D1 and Joey had a miserable Covid week -- 4 days of feeling awful. Thankfully, it passed, and they're essentially recovered. And, as Dr. Barry has assured -- the baby and toddler were just fine.

Wifey and I plan to head over tomorrow and spend some time with them -- grabbing the toddler for a hug, even as he protests "Si, pero no besos!" The little brother has no choice or say in the matter.

Tonight D2 and Jonathan are dropping off the enormous puppy for a few hours -- a co-ed baby shower a few blocks away. Their old friends Brett and Elise are expecting. Poor Jonathan -- I don't envy this turning baby showers into a co-ed event thing. I'll offer to pre-game with him.

We're at or near the peak of the miserable Miami summer heat. We're off to hopefully cooling Maine in less than 2 weeks -- and most looking forward to it. 

Kenny and Joelle are hosting us in Oxford. And they don't kvetch...

No comments: