Saturday, April 23, 2022

It's A Nice Day For A White Wedding

 Ah young Chris -- a wonderful young man. He's Mike and Loni's son, and we known him his entire life. We attended his baptism at a local Catholic church, and I helped hold him -- telling the very funny priest I was Jewish. He said I was therefore and older brother.

This turned out to be very funny years later, when Chris's mom learned she was halachically Jewish. Her Mom Marci never bothered to tell her family she was the product of European Jews -- she married Don, and lived a Catholic life. But genetics reared its head via a Christmas gift from Ralph, Loni's brother in law, who learned that his wife, Loni's sister, was 50% Ashkenazi. How could that be? Well, when your Mom is Jewish, that splains it.

So Chris's high school girlfriend Rachel had no questions about her upbringing -- her parents are garden variety Miami Ashkenazim. Chris went to USC, and Rachel to Emory, and they both came home to UM for grad school -- Chris law, and Rachel an MPH. They're delightful, and last night was their rehearsal dinner, hosted by Mike and Loni.

They picked Trulucks, my old club. Victor was there, hustling to keep up with the thirsty partiers. Wifey said she wanted to drink, too, and so we Ubered to Brickell. She had several proseccos, and I many martinis. It was delightful -- catching up with old friends.

Amanda and her wonderful boyfriend were in from LA. I told the young man, after several drinks, that I had only met him twice, but got excellent vibes from him. Amanda is like another daughter to us. I then told him maybe it was time to have a second wedding for Mike and Loni. He laughed, and said it was coming. That made me very happy.

Wifey and I saw with Darriel and Paul -- dear friends who had to relocate to Richmond, Va after Paul's company gave him the choice of moving or retiring. At 59 he wasn't ready for the latter, and so they sold in Kendall and bought in Va. They're happy there, but miss terribly their grown kids and grandkids. Marlowe is graduating UF in May, and Paul and I joked about having to endure a visit to Gatorland. The good news is that the J School graduation is in the O Dome, less odious to we Canes than the Swamp. The bad news is that the speaker is Tim Tebow. Yuck. But Marlowe is off the NYU J school in the Fall, on full scholarship. We've known that girl was a star since she was in Middle School.

The party moved to outside tables, and it was lovely. The tall buildings surrounded us -- it was a gorgeous night. The food was great, and the laughter hearty. Our Uber got us home in about a half hour, but I slept the sleep of multiple martinis.

Today the friendly Venezuelan appliance installers are back. In the "Nothing is Easy" Department, turned out we were storing the wrong compactor -- they had to fetch the stainless one -- and the Thermidor top needed a cut. So Miguel is back with his special saw, and we will have our stove top in soon.

As for the fridge -- well --we got a call from Junior yesterday. He got in several of the big Kitchenaids -- but without the anti-fingerprint finish. Wifey said no, no , no. Junior said we might have to wait awhile -- I told him with my temp unit, I was fine for the duration.

Tonight we head back to Brickell, to the Four Seasons, for the big wedding. I think 300 people are invited. Since I know a bit about these big ass events, I'm estimating tonight is a $250K party. Ah. Very nice to attend when all I have to do is tip the valet.

I think we'll drive tonight -- I don't heavily drink two nights in a row, and I think Wifey is good for awhile.

So congratulations to Rachel and Chris. To 120, as the Italians say. When you watch a little boy grow up to be a fine man, and he finds his besheret, well, that's some fine stuff right there.

No comments: