Sunday, April 17, 2022

I Could Write A Sonnet About Your Easter Bonnet

 So yes -- I'm that Jewish guy who loves the fact that the best Christmas song of all time (White Christmas) and best Easter song (Easter Parade) were written by a Jew. Actually -- it makes me proud to be an American -- the best part of our mosaic of cultures -- like the Irish taking in lowly corned beef to mix with cabbage and raising it to St. Paddy's Day classic.

Today there was a great chuckle for our text group of gentlemen with rapier wit. Our very own Jackson Memorial Hospital posted a Passover greeting, with a pretty young woman slicing a challah! An alert executive (Barry) advised the VP of Communications, who happens to be Jewish, and the post was immediately removed.

I added that it reminded me of the tale, probably apocryphal, of the ad agency guy who got fired after putting up an ad for Home Depot: "Good Friday Only: 50% Off All Lumber And Nails."

It's good to laugh during Holy Week -- Ramadam is going on as well, so that makes for a Holy Month.

Meanwhile, we had a banner seder-lite here yesterday. I went early to Joanna's, and fetched Wifey's order of brisket, turkey, salmon, matzah ball soup, chopped liver, and various veggies. Joey was able to figure out our new oven, which for some reason was set to Celsius, and we all enjoyed a feast.

I made fun of Wifey's overordering -- we only had 6 of us. Ha. I forgot. The Little Man eats as much as any grown up -- to him, matzah was a 2 fisted affair.

I poured Tito's martinis for my sons in law and myself. Joey requested Tito's as it's all potato based -- my Ketel uses some grains -- so a no no for Passover.

After my second, I got a bit mushy, and shared with our family how, the night before, it came over me how lucky Wifey and I are about the men our Ds chose to marry. Yes, there have been periods of tensosity, and some broigis, to use the great Yiddish word for family feud, but Joey and Jonathan treat our Ds like the princesses they are, and I'm eternally grateful for that.

After we ate, Wifey stayed back to rest, and we paraded up the street with Betsy. We called on her BFF Jagger, and he was let out for a happy romp. His parents Rod and Daria were preparing for a triple celebration: Rod's birthday, meeting their son's future in laws, in from Texas, and, finally, Easter. But Jagger just wanted to play.

The young-uns left, and Wifey put on the last episode of a show about Pam Hupp, the nice appearing Missouri Mom who killed her mother, best friend, and a hapless dupe she tried to use as a fall guy. Renee Zellwegger was terrific, but we both fell into epic naps -- mine Tito influenced, and Wifey's just fatigue.

It was a banner day.

Today I went out for my constitutional, and ran into a bunch of happy neighbors -- we all greeted each other with Happy Passover and Happy Easter. The Easterites had family or brunch plans; the Passoverians were already lamenting missing bread and pizza.

I regaled a group with a meme that said Jews got gefilte fish and Christians chocolate bunnies and WE'RE the Chosen People?

Wifey and I will chill today. My neighbor Eric said he may stop by with a gift -- his boy Jack is a freshman at Iowa, and he bought me a Hawkeye T shirt -- to go with the other Big 10 shirt I favor: my Maryland Fear The Turtle one -- given to me by Scott, my nephew of another mister.

Ah, Passover and Easter. Nice when they coincide.

No comments: