Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Appliances

 So our classic First World problem may be nearly over: as I write, today, the friendly Venezuelan guys are here installing several of our new appliances. It's been quite a slog.

Last year, Wifey decided we needed new kitchen appliances. Truth was, the built in fridge was barely working, and the gas stovetop's exhaust fans had given up the ghost during the first Obama administration. The dishwasher and compactor and double oven were fine, but Wifey had appliance racism: she despised them because of their color. She decided it was time to go stainless steel instead of white.

We went to Bouche, a local dealer who does mostly upscale kitchens. The owner and his son are hilarious -- barely time to talk to you. They were precisely what Wifey needed, to overcome any indecisiveness. Bouche measured and told Wifey what she COULD have. We picked out and put a deposit on a new fridge, oven, stovetop, compactor, and dishwasher in record time.

Alas, Covid was going on. Everything was delayed. I bought a temporary fridge from Home Depot, which, because of their incompetence, ended up being free. Yay! An $1800 gift from the Republicans in Atlanta!

Bouche delivered all the appliances except for the fridge. That still hasn't come in -- it may be a full year before we get it.

But Abraham, the friendly cabinet maker, had removed our old oven in order to build out space for the new one. Months passed, and finally in February, we needed an oven for the caterers for D2's birthday party. So Miguel came and installed the oven -- but left the rest of the appliances in the garage.

Finally, in late March he called -- he could do the stovetop, compactor, and dishwasher. But then I got Covid, and we had to cancel. He was to come last week -- he had to cancel again.

But the big day is today, and he's putting in the new range and exhaust fan with his assistant. This new one will have 5 gas burners instead of the 4 plus electric griddle the old one has -- the better to NOT cook on more than one of them. I'm typically the only one who uses the stove top -- Daddy eggs, or pasta on Fridays for my Zoom. But I guess if anyone ever decides to cook, it'll be good to have 5 gas stovetops.

Once they're done, the only remaining thing will be the big ass Kitchenaid fridge. Bouche says his supplier shows May. Whatever -- we're fine with the interim fridge. It makes ice well, so my martinis are properly chilled. When the new one eventually comes, I may have a plumber put a supply line in the garage so I can install the temp fridge there -- and have another icemaker, for alcoholic emergencies. I'll see.

All I know is -- these are the kinds of problems I like!Waiting for new appliances -- ah...

Wifey assured me that since she wanted this project, she would be in charge and I wouldn't have to do anything. Ha. She's leaving soon for PT -- I get to stay here with the installers and pay them and learn how to use the new stuff when they finish. I saw that coming like a freight train at night.

Hey. If I want to be the big man in my family, that means I do, essentially, everything. That's fine.

Tomorrow we may see the Little Man. Well -- I plan to definitely -- Wifey may have plans with her friend Jodi. He's really at the age where he is delightful to be around -- watching him process the world in his hilarious way.

The other day D1 told him to stop picking his nose. So he covered his eyes -- if he couldn't see her, clearly she couldn't see him. She snapped a photo which is already one of my favorites.

We have a big weekend ahead. Our dear friends Mike and Loni's boy Chris is getting married -- to his Palmetto High sweetheart Rachel. Friday night there's a rehearsal dinner at Trulucks -- my old clubhouse on Brickell. 

I was there 3/24, before I came down with Covid, and saw Victor, my longtime friend and bartender. He said he would be on duty Friday night -- martinis with him, and dear friends, well, that'll be swell.

Saturday night we return for the big event at the Four Seasons. I think it's 250 people -- I LOVE a huge, first class wedding -- especially when I don't have to pay for it.

Mike's group of old friends, and his sister, are already circulating a text group in anticipation. Jeannine said "Look most forward to seeing everyone at the formal tailgate on Brickell this weekend." I added one of my favorite videos: Tom Petty's "I've Got A Room On The Top of the World Tonight." 

I love that as a theme -- a wonderful affair can shut out all of the noise and problems of the world -- to let us celebrate and focus on the love and commitment of two fine young people.

Yes -- we seem to be coming out of the dark of this plague. And it appears we'll have new stainless steel appliances to show for it.

No comments: