Saturday, April 2, 2022

Changing Jab Protocols

 So I make all decisions based on the medical brain trust of Barry, Eric, and Kenny. When Wifey had her stroke, I called them "Team Wifey," and they were amazing -- parsing for me all the data and helping make all the decisions that drove her treatment and recovery. And of course, when it comes to matters of Covid 19, I read tons, but end up doing whatever they do. And recently there was a change.

So the CDC came out with a recommendation that oldsters like us, above 50, get a FOURTH jab, on account of the waning immunity the miracle vaccines provide. At first, my boys said they were going to wait - probably until the Fall -- since that would provide maximum protection going into what will probably be the worst part of the season -- late Fall and Winter.

So I figured I'd wait -- and was pretty confident of my and Wifey's immunity -- having both had the damned disease on top of three jabs. But the dudes changed course -- Kenny and Eric both decided to go with #4 -- Eric got his the other day.

So last night, I scheduled my dose -- for May 2. I figure by then any remaining vestiges of my active disease will be over. Wifey had her Covid in January, and got the antibody treatment then -- so she's going to wait and go with me. I joked that we'd "make a day of it." She laughed.

I was referring to my Mom and the later stages of her life -- when friends' funerals became common place. Often she and her sister Lorraine would have to decide whether or not to attend -- there were so many. Often one or the other would say "C'mon -- we'll go -- we'll make a day of it." By that they meant enjoying the bagels and lox at the shiva, and maybe afterwards going shopping, or maybe to a movie.

It was the activity of the old. And I'm there.

My Dad used to say that all of his fellow WW II generation guys in the pool would discuss two things: doctors and CD rates. Back then, you could get near 20% on your savings, and none of my Dad's cohort bothered with the stock market -- why should they? So each 6 months, they'd bank shop -- getting the highest rate of their $10K certificates of deposit -- and even, sometimes, a premium like an appliance.

And they would compare who was the best local urologist or cardiologist, etc...

The province of old folks -- talking about their doctors.

My dentist Larry is 74 -- and very youthful. He had kids later -- his twins are just a bit older than D1 -- and D1 knew them in high school.

Years ago, Larry said he and his wife were out with two other couples they'd been friends with for decades -- they all went to Miami Beach High together. He said, per usual, the conversation, after catching up about their grown kids or grandkids,veered to the health ailmants.

Larry, a sweet guy, told me he literally slammed the table at the Gables restaurant -- and said "Enough!" He said to his friends, look -- we all have ailments -- some very serious -- but how about tonight we leave them outside? He said they did, and had a far better time.

When Wifey and I were in our 20s through 50s, the conversation was almost never about health issues -- and our dear friends were, and are,doctors!

I plan to try to follow Dr. Larry's example -- enough with who has what -- where it hurts or doesn't -- what chronic condition is bothering each of us most.

We're older, but it'll be nice to try to recapture some of the youth -- enough about pain, or fatigue.

On the way home the other day, Wifey recited to me her list of appointments for doctors and therapy -- podiatrist, PT, dermatologist, etc... I turned to her and said "Stop distracting me, you temptress!"

We laughed. It's very easy to be all about the problems of aging, if you let it...

No comments: