Monday, September 6, 2021

Rosh Hashanah Pizza

 Years ago, when my Mom was not only alive but still able to host social events, she invited all of us to her condo in Delray for RH. She had shopped, and left a lot of the food in her friend Max's freezer. I was in Naples, Florida on a depo trip, walking on the beach after the depo, and she called.

"David -- I let myself into Max's apartment, and he was sitting there, fully dressed, and dead. Dead as a doornail." I still remember the earnestness of her conversation. "He was fully dressed, but hadn't put his sneakers on yet." Of course, my first thought was someone dying in their easy chair did NOT need their shoes...not walking anywhere, anymore.

Mom waited for the Palm Beach Sheriff to come, and take Max away. His funeral was a few days later. Max, a very quiet and unassuming man, died in exactly that way. But Mom of course was no longer in the mood for hosting.

So instead, we ended up at my sister and brother in law's house, where we ordered pizza. We all got a kick out of that -- pizza for the Jewish New Year. Well, things come around, if you wait for them.

Last year, at the height of the plague, we all stayed amongst ourselves. But this year, fully vaxxed, we had plans to go to D1's in laws. We enjoy times with them -- and the food, Sephardic, is always delicious. I decreed I was L'chaim man, and bought a bottle of red and bottle of white (what I call my Billy Joel move) and a bottle of vodka and a bottle of gin. D2 and Jonathan were going to go to his parents for RH instead.

And then this am Jonathan announced that one of his friends from a boat trip Saturday had tested positive. The young man had been vaxxed, and wasn't too worried about serious illness, but he was a bona fide exposure to our family.

Jonathan ran out and got a rapid test: negative, but we know the PCR, which takes days, is the real standard. So he canceled with his parents, and we texted our consuegros to tell them we ought to beg off, too. 

To make up for it, I went online and ordered the alcohol I was going to bring -- from a Big Daddy's on Biscayne. It was delivered within the hour. That made me happy. Hopefully we get to at least FaceTime a L'chaim together later.

And as for Wifey, me, D2 and Jonathan? Well, I think history demands we order RH pizza! D2, health conscious, is already grumbling about a healthy version -- but that ain't happening. I'm thinking Big Cheese -- going all the way for the Jewish New Year.

I ordered our Publix InstaCart -- and included beer. I wanted Stellal Jonathan favore Peroni, so we got a six pack of each. Ah -- pizza and beer. For me, that's as sweet as it gets. I guess we'll also dip an apple in honey to remain OS, too.

So these are our crazy times. We plan to host the Ds mens' famililies for T Day. Hopefully by then, the Plague will be in retreat again, and we can pull it off. Our old friend Sarah's big catering company went bankrupt, but she's doing some side jobs for old friends. Hopefully we'll be one of them.

In the mean time, I plan to thank the Big Man, and let Him know I'm sorry for my sins, and hope to be better next year -- assuming He gives me another year. For now, to honor the year, pizza will have to suffice. RIP, Max.

No comments: