Thursday, September 30, 2021

I grow old...I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

 So this is 60. Time was, I had an opportunity to see TWO games at Joe Robbie -- Canes and Fins -- and that was a fun, special weekend. Now -- not so much.

My friend Mike's son Chris just completed a rite of passage -- he bought his OWN Fins season tickets. He always attended on his Dad's tab, but now as a 2 year lawyer, engaged and a new Palmetto Bay homeowner, he became a true adult -- and that meant his own seats. And he invited me to a Fins game -- this Sunday. I accepted.

But, alas, Canes are playing tonight -- against UVA -- the grapes, as the inside Hispanic Cane fan joke goes. At first, Wifey was going to accompany me -- she likes night games, when it's cool -- but alas, age struck again in Villa Wifey and she has a knee issue -- probably a meniscal tear -- and the doc told her not to walk for awhile. Also, I fetched the walker I had consigned to the garage and hoped not to see again for awhile. Ha. As if.

So -- if I attend the Canes, I have a 2 hour rush hour drive, alone, to make it to the stadium -- and the game is on ESPN. Eric and his crew are still avoiding the tailgates and games on account of Covid fears, and Norman texted he has a dog issue keeping him away -- so I bagged it as well. And did so accepting the fact I am indeed a senior citizen.

On that front, I saw my trainer Juan today. The last visits to him were torture -- trying to keep up with D2 and Jonathan -- 30 years my junior. Well -- the training is now me alone -- they have been offered free classes, to thank me for people I referred to the gym -- and so Juan and I had a talk. He knows I have zero plans to become an athlete of any sort -- if I can run after my grandson, and lift him, and play with him -- I'll be a happy granddaddy in the USA. So Juan modified my sessions -- I leave feeling invigorated instead of near death -- which is what was happening. And so I have committed to continue.

Six pack abs? Hell -- I'll be happy with a mini keg.

Yesterday, I spent the day with Paul at his resort living home, Williams Island. It was lovely -- he treated me to a stretch session with Flossie -- a nice Chinese woman converted to Judaism to marry a LI guy. She stretched me well -- last time my left knee was that far to the right was at a party in law school.

And outside, they were giving vitamin B 12 shots -- promising it would "combat age." The older ladies were lined up -- lots of plastic surgery and fake boobs there. Paul offered me a shot -- and I said I was happy with my 60 years -- I lived the hell out of all of them -- why combat them at all? The older ladies, most of whom were my age or older, sneered. Yeah -- I could never live at a condo -- my wise assery would wear thin, fast.

So tonight I'll be watching at 7:30. Tomorrow I have Dadber -- D2 and Jonathan to MIA for their trip to NYC. Then I have my usual Zoom cocktail party -- and -- the premier of the Sopranos prequel movie. I look MOST forward to seeing that.

HBO has been running Sopranos marathons -- and I watch 2 or 3 episodes at a time -- I told Wifey there really never needs to be any other show on. D2 disagreed.

No Canes game live for me tonight. I put my tickets up on StubHub, even though the last ones I sold have my money in limbo. Even Joey, a payments maven, couldn't free them from the website. I called StubHub and was told my call would be answered "within 3 hours." Hell -- I can wait. Just the time I save not sitting in traffic to the game will do the trick.

No comments: