Sunday, September 5, 2021

Canes Still Mediocre

So I largely avoided the hype of my beloved team -- I KNEW they were still mediocre. And still -- as kickoff for the first game approached, I did find myself with some of those old familiar feelings.

D1 and the baby came by, and we fetched Roasters and Toasters for lunch. As they were driving in, our new neighbors Jesus and Mariela came by, with their adorable nearly 2 year old Amalie. They were dropping off a welcome gift -- dessert from a high end bakery in the Gables. We chatted, and our grandson watched the beautiful Amalie run around -- not entirely sure about the new visitor. It was very nice.

D1 showed off her serviceable Spanish to our new Cuban born neighbors, who both speak perfect English, too. Jesus said D1 was great in La lengua de amor...

We had lunch, and played with the baby. His Dad was on the links. His tio Jonathan out on a boat with a group of long time friends. It was a lovely time -- watching the little man have a great time surrounded by 4 dogs. And when D1 announced she had to bounce early, well, with the game approaching, I was fine with that.

D2 and Wifey did a pilates class, and I napped, awakening about 10 minutes before kickoff. And then -- whomp whomp.

The Canes were out of the game by the first quarter. Bama is a juggernaut -- the way Miami last was in '02. The new QB broke Joe Namath records. The Defense was suffocating. It was truly, to use the old cliche, men versus boys.

So now I'm left with a choice. Attend still Covid risky games beginning 9/11? Eric has already announced that as for him and his family -- no go. They have 2 grandbabies and don't want to risk getting Covid -- especially since Eric is at risk daily at his doc job. Why enhance risk on the weekends? They put their tickets up on Stubhub -- I can't imagine there's much of a market -- especially for the next game, which is App State.

I'll see. The newfangled ticket APP has a way to donate tickets to the military -- if I don't go, that's the route I'll take.

But as for excitement about the team? Nah. We seem to be very good at flash -- like the Turnover Chain -- but not so great in fundamentals -- like playing good offense and defense.

For now, I plan a nice, quiet Sunday -- some more college football, as the NFL begins next week. Tomorrow night it's dinner with Joey's parents for the Jewish New Year. The Little Man is staying home, as it's past his bed time -- Wifey and I may sneak over to wish him goodnight before the dinner. Joey's parents live mere blocks away.

Meanwhile, my residential son in law Jonathan is up early -- watching F1. He became a fan after watching a show about it on, I think, Netflix. There's a race on from The Netherlands. The crowd looks like Clemson fans -- all dressed in gaudy orange.

The way the Canes are playing, I may have to look for other sports to cheer about. Those Marlins... 

No comments: