Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Huge Turnout for the Funeral

So our neighbor Ben had his funeral today, and Wifey and I attended. It was at St. Thomas Episcopal, a parish just East of Pinecrest. I checked them out on the web, and concluded right away they weren't a very conservative outfit. The Rector of the church's bio mentioned he lived with his spouse Paul...and Paul had a Jewish sounding last name!

I drove to the church about 20 minutes before the service, and it was packed -- cars were being parked on the grass athletic field. I walked in, and two young men were greeting people. One was the spitting image of Ben, and I asked if they were his sons. They were -- I said my condolences, and told them I was in my 20s when I lost my Dad -- I felt for them. They nodded appreciatively.

The church was at capacity -- there had to be nearly 1000 people there. Ben ran a life long business, and was one of 4 siblings. Many of our neighbors were there -- I sat next to Lili and Jeff, and Monica and John. Wifey came just in time.

The Rector started with the prayers, but when the family spoke, the microphone was out. No one said a word. 2 speakers went on, totally unheard. Jeff and I joked that had this been a Jewish service, people would have said "CAN'T HEAR!" immediately. But the WASPs just sat politely. Eventually, the minister noticed, and brought a new microphone.

Ben's sons spoke, movingly, about their Dad, and one of his 4 sisters spoke tearfully about how Ben was the best. And then, surprisingly, Gloria spoke -- about how lucky she was to have met her life partner. I whispered to Wifey that I fully expect her to be far too emotional to speak at any memorial service for me. She agreed.

They got to the homilies, and it was noon. Wifey and I excused ourselves, and retired to Bagel Emporium.

Wifey noticed no one said anything about Ben being generous or charitable. I guess that's because he wasn't. I could never see him being the guy who picked up a check at a dinner. That's ok -- he was giving of himself to his family and his business -- that made him quite a winner, in my book.

My friend Joel was in the office. He's on a major exercise and diet kick lately. He's 48 and wants to live much longer. I told him about Ben, how he ate only healthy and organic, and was a dedicated runner. Joel frowned.

But the truth is, when the Big Man calls, nothing about diet or exercise matters. My mother NEVER exercised. She hated to even walk very much. Her diet staples included Costco hot dogs, and Burger King Whoppers. She lived until 93.

My Dad, always a bit overweight, was in the best shape of his life after he retired. He was told he had developed Type II diabetes, and lost, I think, about 50 lbs. He began fast walking each night. He cut out sugars. He dropped at 63.

So the only real lesson from my neighbor's death is to savor each day. I do my best in that regard. I am thankful for everything. I tell my loved ones how I love them several times per day.

I turn down invitations that don't thrill me. I accept those that do.

Rest in peace, neighbor Ben. We'll miss you. But you were blessed with a very full life.

No comments: