Friday, December 14, 2018

When Life Looks Like Easy Street There Is Danger At Your Door

As we age and hopefully acquire wisdom, a key lesson is to savor all the days. Or, as Warren Zevon said, when diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and asked for his life advice, enjoy every sandwich.

Things can coast along happily, and then a crisis comes, often in the form of a medical complication of a simple procedure. And when you really really love someone, and watch them suffer, well, there is nothing worse.

And so it came to pass for us -- the details aren't important, except to note that last Sunday was the second worst day of my life -- following the worst, July 14, 1982, when my beloved father died in my arms.

But the Big Man smiled, and the dark storm clouds parted, leaving a bright, bright, sunshiny day.

My close friends circled the wagons. One I told about things was angry I hadn't included him sooner. He was right -- we spent a lot of time closer to his home, and he knows I would have been there for him.

My friends checked after me, and one I brought onto the ledge with me, and, as he is wont to do, stayed there with me with calm, and keen intelligence, and love, and walked me off the ledge.

And my inner circle is there because, like me, they realize that "being there when your friend is down" is NOT the true essence of friendship -- that's just being a decent human being. No -- they love when I soar, as I love when THEY soar, with no jealousies, or thoughts of "Why does THAT bastard have it so good?"

So I guess it's possible to go through life without close friends. In fact, I know it is -- I see plenty of people who sort of slouch along, walling themselves up inside, and thinking they can go it alone. For me -- I wonder why anyone would choose that, though building true friendships takes decades.

Two of my wolf pack were there for me on my life's worst day. Over three and a half decades later, they still are. I'll have their backs until the day I die.

So the crisis is stilled. And who knows -- maybe the Big Man even has some truly joyous moments still in store for me -- sooner than later.

All I know is, we all have some of our personal hells within us. Some, like me, belie them with a cheery, joking manner. Others simply LOOK like Eyeores all the time.

But those with true friends, those who love you and take pleasure in joining you on this life journey -- well, those are the richest of all.

And this early morning in Miami, I am, by far, the richest man I know.

No comments: