Tuesday, December 4, 2018

My Mother in Law Keeps on Rolling Along

So yesterday was the first night of Chanukah, and Wifey and I celebrated by an early dinner at LOL. We did share some latkes...I turned on the electric menorah, and that was it. When you don't have kids at home, Chanukah loses a lot of luster...

Anyway, after LOL I listened to the Fins win one on radio. The Fins' announcer, Jimmy Cefalo, is a comically poor play by play man. On the final play of the game, the Bills tight end dropped the winning touchdown. Cefalo was yelling, and never said what happened. I only found out that the Fins had won via texts from Mike and Norman.

We drove to the Palace, and I waited outside in the cool evening air. Wifey plucked her mother from her room and brought her out. I heard her from inside -- her voice is so loud everyone in the place hears when she speaks. She's deaf, which is a reason why, but it's an anatomical mystery how a nearly 94 year old has the strength to project as she does.

We got through her repeat questions: is D1 pregnant, and is D2 engaged? She asked 6 times. Am I still in business with my partner Paul? Is he still with the pretty "Spanish girl?"

I typed out a happy Chanukah greeting. She read it and said she was sorry she couldn't make her latkes. Wifey and I laughed -- a running joke was that she used to make the second best latkes -- her rival, a Survivor named Genia, made the best.

At a party years ago, I tried Genia's latkes, and whispered to her that they were better than my mother in law's. Genia liked me from that time on...

The time went on,and my mother in law repeated how happy she was with our visit. I typed out that her birthday was near -- on December 15, she would be turning 94.

My Mom turned 93 and was fading fast. Indeed, she died two weeks later.

I think my suegra will be here for a lot longer...she shows no weakening at all. She is quite overweight -- no wasting away, whatsoever.

In other sports news, the Canes were NOT selected for the Gator Bowl. Instead, they'll be headed to NYC on 12/27 to play in the Pinstripe Bowl, in Yankee Stadium. D2 will be here then, so no bowl trip for us.

The kickoff is on a Thursday at 5:15. I'm thinking it might be appropriate to watch at Trulucks, during happy hour. I think Victor will enjoy the company.

And so we'll be here for NYE.  2019 is less than a month away.

I still remember well being a boy, and thinking the year 2000 was WAY into the future. My Dad reminded me I would be younger than 40 when that came around.

And now nearly 2 decades have passed...

My suegra has seen MANY turns of the year...and it appears she'll see several more.

No comments: