Saturday, July 5, 2014

Manhattan in Miami

Many long time Miamians lament the "Manhattanization" of Miami -- with all the high rises here and more coming, and traffic, and culture, and music...Ha. As if. This place was for years the "6th Borough" before becoming the capital of Latin America. To me, one of the best things about NYC is the classic steakhouse, and the Palm is the perfect example. They opened a Miami outpost in, I think the 70s, and it's been thriving since. And the place is just like the Midtown version -- intimate bar, simple decor, caricatures of famous and frequent diners on the walls. So last night we decided to reprise a mini July 4 tradition -- dinner there. Norman and Deb and Wifey and I did it a few times before, last time with visiting Elizabeth, but last night Dr. Dave and Maureen, and Paul and Patricia completed our octet. Norman and Deb had prior business on the Beach, so they met us, and Dave and MAureen came over to Villa Wifey. I opened a bottle of 'paigne, as my friend Stu used to call it, and Maureen had a little, Wifey had one sip, and Dave and I acquitted ourselves in homage to the French rather well... Wifey lied down in the back, head on Maureen's lap, and off we went, through South Miami Dade, through North Miami, and finally to Bay Harbor, ancestral home of the Palm. Norman and Deb were at the bar with Paul and Patti -- reminiscing with the long time host, who has seen Paul there many times over the years... We asked after our long lost sister of another mother Allison -- her family eats there a few times per week, and the host told us her Dad, Dr. Sy, RETIRED. The man was Mt. Sinai Urology Chief since the Kennedy administration, and I guess he got tired of washing off that index finger... So Norman had some gin, Paul, Patti, and Deb had wine, and I had my man sized Ketel One martini. My mentor Ed Perse always appreciated a proper sized martini, when it was, as he gestured with his hands vertically far apart, "This fucking big!" and I think of him each time I enjoy one. We went to the table, and toasted our kids, and in Paul's case, grandkids, and we toasted Dr. Dave's retirement from practicing medicine over 30 years. Then I realized another thing -- we 4 American born men were with some exotic ladies: Wifey, born in Israel, Deb, born in Canada, Patricia, born in Peru, and MAureen, from Suffolk County, LI! Ok, so maybe that's not so exotic. The ladies, in decreasing rank of hotness, are...Ha! As if! I didn't have THAT many martinis... Wifey and I shared a NY Strip -- delicious as always, and the table shared spinach, hash browns, and asparagus. We then shared a flourless chocolate cake, carrot cake, and "Bag o' donuts) for dessert. That last item is a bag of donuts...with awesome dipping sauces. We left around 9, and then, as Norman had wisely scouted out the local fireworks schedule, watched a display just to our northeast -- 96th street off the beach. It was lovely. Maureen drove the SUV home, and it was over... The best of Manhattan without actually having to go there -- as our Ds have. I thought of them watching fireworks as we did. These are some damn good times.

No comments: