Friday, July 18, 2014

53

A wise man (Denis Leary?) once said that there comes a time in a man's life when he should realize his birthday is no big deal to others, and that should be age 9. Still, I've always thought that birthdays were as good a time as any to reflect on one's life. I've already cleaned out all by belly button lint, so there's nothing much left for introspection. But I note the simple fact as I'm well into my 2nd half century on this planet how things wax and wane. The big news today locally is a judge in Monroe County overturning a law preventing gay marriage -- now clearly something that will be the norm within a year or two. And it's remarkable to me how that just came upon us so quickly. Just a few years back it seemed the moral "conservatives" would never allow that, and then it just, well happened. My father, the first true liberal humanist I knew, would have been happily amazed. He would have also poltically incorrectly, said "Good for the faygellas." Also today, there's a strife in the Middle East. Israel is beginning a "ground war" against Hamas leaders in Palestine. So nothing changes there -- except the continued inability of those poor bastards to realize that Israel is here to stay, and until and unless they accept that, they'll be doomed like some cartoon villain to say, essentially, "Curses! foiled again!" So people come and people go...but much really does happen. The Miami Dade County Commission voted to approve a Cuban Exile Museum on County land -- to honor them and all they've done for Miami. I think that's great. But maybe there should also be a museum dedicated to middle class Jewish folks who moved here from the northeast, made their fortune and gave a lot to charity, and started successful businesses that helped the lives of others. I'm just saying... So I know I am a lucky man, as I begin my 54th year. From this point in his life, my Dad would have less than a decade more on this earth. I'd like some more years -- but maybe not as many as my Mom got. All I know is -- Ds is home today, and D1 is at work. We're taking Wifey's best friend's daughter Erica with us to an awesome Italian place in Lauderdale for dinner -- Anthony's Runway 84. I've been there once and have been eager to return -- atmosphere and food right out of Brooklyn or South Philly... Erica is here for the birth of her best friend's baby -- due today by C section. Imagine that -- July 18 will be that newest Miamian's birthday. I wish for him or her as great a life as I've had, and wish to continue to have. So happy birthday to me, and thanks, as always, to the Big Man...

No comments: