Friday, June 20, 2014

First Day Of Summer

Tomorrow is the summer solstice, the longest day of the year, and beginning of the hottest season. For some reason, we got a nice respite early this morning -- I guess it was last night's rains ahead of a cold front. As I sat at my pond, watching the fish eat the food I tossed them, and wondering whether the strange rescue dog was going to topple into the water, requiring a comical rescue, I actually felt a hint of a cool breeze. The rescue dog navigated her way off the stone wall and away from the pond, thankfully. It's a nice time here, at Villa Wifey. D1 is off work today, hosting her friend Adam in town from NYC. D2 is sleeping in, after a 4 day work week at the cruise line, followed by an evening out with lifelong friend Amanda in the Grove. Amanda's boyfriend Nick is here from LA -- nice fellow. I met him in Chicago when we all gathered to watch the Canes play Notre Dame. He reminds me of the actor John Goodman. I hope they end up together. Wifey's ugly headed bad back may be improving. She reported that she was able to sit in the hairdresser's chair for a whole session the other day. Of course, then this am she reported she has a bad cold -- it's, as Roseann said, ALWAYS something. I'll head to the office later --to send some contracts to a new client we spoke with last night who claims a bad chiropractic adjustment lead to neurosurgery to fuse his cervical spine. It'll be a hell of a case if it pans out... But Miami's worst time of year looms...heat, humidity, bugs. There's Miami Spice, of course, with great restaurant values, and Marlins games in the cool, air conditioned stadium. I need to travel though. There's a deposition in Key West I may volunteer to attend -- at least I'll get one night of eating raw shellfish at the Bight, listening to music off Duval, and drinking at the Chart Room. I'm getting a little cabin fever here -- it always happens as the heat grows oppressive. But who knows -- maybe there'll be a few more of those unexpected cool breezes...

No comments: