Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mother's Day For An Orphan

So tomorrow is my second motherless Mother's Day. As Tony always asked, What are ya gonna do? Last year Sunny's death was very fresh -- she had died just a few weeks before. Wifey, the Ds and I took her ashes to Biscayne Bay and spread them into the sea --to be with my Dad, as per her wishes. This past year has really flown by. D2 is now a college graduate, and D1 is settled into her job as a Peds Dietician, with a private practice on the side. I've gotten more active in the law business again -- dear old friend John has joined our group, and energized it with his military ways... Wifey's Mother gets the focus tomorrow. We plan to meet her and my father in law at Miami Jewish, and decamp to Soyka's -- our new go-to restaurant, for Mother's Day. The Ds will honor Wifey, as well they should. Wifey has given so much to the Ds -- and the results, thankfully, are apparent. They make much loving fun of her, but adore her, and love her. D2 and Wifey had a rough patch -- from Middle School until near the end of high school. But now D2 realizes that Wifey is much better than any of her friend's Moms, or, as she says -- "Mom -- you screwed me up far LESS than my friends' Moms screwed them up." Just the other night, D2, Wifey, and I were eating fish at Captain's Tavern, when the parents of one of D2's closest childhood friends came in. The Mom had been drinking, and she hugged D2, and then turned to Wifey. Her daughter, gifted in school like D2, never really launched. She never went to college, and now, at 22, still has a series of low paying and dead end jobs. Her Mom told Wifey she WISHED she were a Mom like Wifey -- maybe her girl would have soared like D2... But at least that Mom and her daughter are close. I know several adult kids who DESPISE their Moms -- have said out loud they wished the Moms were dead. Sad -- probably the saddest thing I know... I'm lucky. My Mom was loving and supportive. My memories of her are almost all good, and uniformly happy. At 20, when my Dad died, I became more the parent than child. It was a tragic time for me, but made me a man. And Mom aupported that along... So we'll toast Wifey tomorrow, and my suegra dificil... Another Mother's Day. Here's to you, Sunny...

No comments: